• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht 10x40 (1 Viewer)

Rossstephens

Hi all,

I currently use a pair of Nikon E11 10x35 which I think are a superb binocular and I've been using for about 10 years. My only gripe is they're not waterproof and with being out in all conditions they do fog up now and again.
I'm considering upgrading to the Swarovski Habicht 10x40s which seem to be the only quality waterproof Porro prizms around. Anyone have any views on these? Any opinions much appreciated!
Cheers!
Ross.

Hi all,

I currently use a pair of Nikon E11 10x35 which I think are a superb binocular and I've been using for about 10 years. My only gripe is they're not waterproof and with being out in all conditions they do fog up now and again.
I'm considering upgrading to the Swarovski Habicht 10x40s which seem to be the only quality waterproof Porro prizms around. Anyone have any views on these? Any opinions much appreciated!
Cheers!
Ross.

hello and welcome Ross

Like yourself i own the 10x35 EII, but have also been mulling over the Swaro porro for some time and decided to take the plunge, so i have just ordered an 8x30 W.

As you say the weatherproofing will pay dividends, other forum members have used the 10x35 in rain etc with no problems, i would rather use it in fair weather...B :)

I also own a 10x35 EII and have owned various Swarovski Porro's including the 10x40 (I still have an 8x30).

The main optical differences are that the 10x40 Swarovski has shorter eye relief and a narrower field than the Nikon. The Swarovski field is still pretty wide, but the eye relief is really quite short at 12mm, certainly too short for eyeglass wearers. Also, I much prefer the eyecups on the rubber armored model. The eyecups on the leatherette version are small and stiff; not very comfortable for me, but may be OK for others. It's the sort of thing you need to try for yourself. Focus is also stiffer than the Nikon from the sealing of the eyepiece tubes.

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated! If only they made some waterproof 10x35 E11s, that would be my perfect pair of binoculars!

I have to be out in all weathers so they really need to be waterproof. I've heard about the short eye relief, I don't wear glasses so I don't feel too worried about that, not too sure about the sound of the stiff focusing wheel though...

Be great if you could let me know how you get on with the 8x30's ingle1970.

I think I probably need to try out a pair myself though it's hard trying to find someone who stocks them and doesn't live nearer than a 100 miles away!

Cheers, Ross.

Ross,
The 10 years of use you put your Nikon 10 X 35 EII through is impressive! I agree that it is an excellent binocular. I also have the 8 x 30 EII which is just as good.

I have a question about their leatherette covering.

Have you experienced any problem during the ten years you used it with it's leatherette covering coming loose or unglued and if so, were you able to fix it?

Cordially,
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back