• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stacking two 1.4 tc's (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Just been playing with two t'c stacked on my 70-200 f4. The two tc's are Canon and Kenko Pro so there is only one possible way of connecting e.g.
Camera - Kenko - Canon - Lens. The Kenko had the pins taped and the Canon did not - I expected the fastest aperture to show as f4 as the Kenko would stop any tc data getting to the Camera But it actually showed f5.6 which means the Camera was seeing the Canon tc |:S|
The second thing I noticed was that AF was just as quick with both converters on board as it is with only one.
Image quality was very good ( the 70-200 f4 is a cracking lens to start with). I am now going to test the IQ of 2 1.4tc stacked versus a 2x tc
(gives me something to do in this crap weather :t: )

Last edited:
If the reporting TC is closer to the lens, camera will see it.
You are right Mac, I thought the non reporting one next to the camera would stop the data getting through to the camera but obviously this data is sent via a non taped pin.

I have used this technique quite a lot when I need that bit more reach. Strangely, the results (in terms of aperture and focal length reporting) seem to vary depending on the make of lens.

With Canon lenses, I get the same results as described above. Only one TC is recognised and it shows as 1 stop darker, 1.4x the focal length and autofocuses accordingly.

With my Sigma 500/4.5, the results are strange. I can use my 500/4.5 with the Kenco Pro TC and it isn't recognised. Autofocuses and reports as 500/4.5. With stacked TCs it now appears to recognise both TCs and reports aperture as F9 (correct) but focal length as 700 (incorrect - its now 1000). Clearly, it doesn't autofocus. Results can be OK - a little soft but still usable (3 cheers for Unsharp Mask!)
Example with 500 + 2 1.4 TCs

Just been playing with two t'c stacked on my 70-200 f4. The two tc's are Canon and Kenko Pro so there is only one possible way of connecting e.g.
Camera - Kenko - Canon - Lens. The Kenko had the pins taped and the Canon did not - I expected the fastest aperture to show as f4 as the Kenko would stop any tc data getting to the Camera But it actually showed f5.6 which means the Camera was seeing the Canon tc |:S|
The second thing I noticed was that AF was just as quick with both converters on board as it is with only one.
Image quality was very good ( the 70-200 f4 is a cracking lens to start with). I am now going to test the IQ of 2 1.4tc stacked versus a 2x tc
(gives me something to do in this crap weather :t: )

Roy, how did you get on comparing the stacked 1.4x against the 2x?

Roy, how did you get on comparing the stacked 1.4x against the 2x?
Must admit I have not done it yet Mark - I am going to do it outside on a tripod but it has been so windy (and wet) that I thought it may give a false result. Will post the results when I do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back