• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kamchatka 5-27th July 2014 (1 Viewer)

Arbu

Thought I'd write a quick report for my recent trip to Kamchatka. I had a few days around Petropavlovsk and then went hiking as part of a group for 15 days around the Kluchevskaya Sopka group of volcanoes further north.

It seems that there is a terrible problem with the trapping of Gyrfalcons in Kamchatka for export to Gulf States, so I'll omit mention of any sightings of them.

A lot of the birds around Petropavlovsk are familiar to UK birders with Great and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, Black-headed Gulls and a Reed Bunting. But harder searching, particularly in the woods, reveals the more interesting ones such as a Siberian Rubythroat, Rustic Buntings, Pechora Pipits and what I think was a Dark-sided Flycatcher (see photo). Also lots of Red-breasted/Taiga Flycatchers and Arctic Warblers.

I took the boat trip out on Avacha Bay and beyond to Starichkov Island outside the bay. Plenty of Ancient Murrelets, Pigeon Guillemots,Common and Brunnich's Guillemots and a single Spectacled Guillemot. Also both Red-faced and Pelagic Cormorants, Harlequin Ducks and Kittiwakes. Two Steller's Sea-eagles roosting on cliffs in the bay and two immature ones on a nest by Starikhov Island were the birds of the trip. A single Red-throated Diver flying over.

During the hike further north Buff-bellied Pipits were abundant as were Snow Buntings. We saw a number of Snow Buntings following a fox around, presumably after scraps. Lapland Buntings were also common. Loads of cuckoos at the lower altitudes, but from the calls it sounded as if all were Common rather than Oriental. We saw a single White-tailed Sea-eagle overhead, one Rough-legged Buzzard, occasional Golden Eagles and I think another Steller's Sea-eagle disappearing into the mist. I also saw a Lesser Sand-Plover with chicks and a couple of Asian Rosy Finch fleetingly.

So definitely some interesting birds, although I went primarily to see the volcanoes, which are stunning. I suppose the best birding in Kamchatka is in the Commander Islands. I looked into going there, and there are flights, but apparently they can be delayed for as much as a week so it wasn't feasible to go there on this trip, but maybe next time.

Hope that's of interest. Full list below.

Willow Ptarmigan
Mallard
Tufted Duck
Harlequin Duck
Red-throated Loon
Pelagic Cormorant
Red-faced Cormorant
Peregrine Falcon
White-tailed Eagle
Steller's Sea-eagle
Eurasian Sparrowhawk
Northern Goshawk
Rough-legged Hawk
Golden Eagle
Lesser Sand Plover
Mew Gull
Slaty-backed Gull
Black-headed Gull
Black-legged Kittiwake
Common Tern
Common Guillemot
Thick-billed Guillemot
Pigeon Guillemot
Spectacled Guillemot
Ancient Murrelet
Horned Puffin
Tufted Puffin
Rock Pigeon
Common Cuckoo
Fork-tailed Swift
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Carrion Crow
Common Raven
Willow Tit
Sand Martin
Barn Swallow
Eurasian Skylark
Middendorff's Grasshopper-warbler
Arctic Warbler
Wood Nuthatch
Eyebrowed Thrush
Dusky Thrush
Siberian Rubythroat
Bluethroat
Dark-sided Flycatcher
Taiga Flycatcher
Eurasian Tree Sparrow
White Wagtail
Yellow Wagtail
Olive-backed Pipit
Pechora Pipit
American Pipit
Brambling
Grey-capped Greenfinch
Asian Rosy-finch
Pine Grosbeak
Rustic Bunting
Reed Bunting
Lapland Longspur
Snow Bunting

Attachments

• Tufted Puffin.JPG
    Tufted Puffin.JPG
    453 KB · Views: 182
  • Steller's Sea-eagle.JPG
    Steller's Sea-eagle.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Rustic Bunting.JPG
    Rustic Bunting.JPG
    465.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Red-faced Cormorant.JPG
    Red-faced Cormorant.JPG
    455.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Pigeon Guillemot.JPG
    Pigeon Guillemot.JPG
    416.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
More photos

Attachments

• Lesser Sand-Plover.JPG
    Lesser Sand-Plover.JPG
    443.5 KB · Views: 209
  • Fox and Snow Bunting.JPG
    Fox and Snow Bunting.JPG
    448.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Dark-sided Flycatcher.JPG
    Dark-sided Flycatcher.JPG
    447.1 KB · Views: 253
  • Brunnich's Guillemot.JPG
    Brunnich's Guillemot.JPG
    467.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Bear.JPG
    Bear.JPG
    456 KB · Views: 225
Here's a mammal list:

Red Fox One in riverbed, another in woods at Kozyrevsk
Northern Sea Lion On boat trip
Harbor Seal On boat trip
Brown (Grizzly) Bear Seen on six days during the hike
Black-capped Marmot Fairly common amongst rocks.
Arctic Ground Squirrel Abundant
Tundra Vole Scurrying in grass.
Northern Pika Relatively common on rocks.
Eurasian Arctic (White, Mountain) Hare Just one or two.

Last edited:
Cracking pix of the bear and the Tufted Puffin!

I agree that your flycatcher looks like a juvenile Dark-sided Flycatcher.

Any pix of the volcanoes?

Cheers
MIke

Hi there,

Sounds like you had a cracking trip! That area of Russia is very high on my list of places I would like to visit. Just out of interest what camera set up were you using?

Cheers

Rich

Hi there,

Sounds like you had a cracking trip! That area of Russia is very high on my list of places I would like to visit. Just out of interest what camera set up were you using?

Cheers

Rich

Yes we felt very privileged to be there. We had such good weather and had the place almost to ourselves.

I took a Canon EOS 400D with a 70-300mm and an 18-55mm lens. I also had a 100-400mm lens which I used on the boat trip, but it was too heavy to take on the hiking part.

A fascinating place Kamchatka.....perhaps one day! Some great species encountered particularly the very "topical" Tufted Puffin.

As an aside....looking at your list I presume Willow Warbler was not encountered and not in range?

Cheers

A fascinating place Kamchatka.....perhaps one day! Some great species encountered particularly the very "topical" Tufted Puffin.

As an aside....looking at your list I presume Willow Warbler was not encountered and not in range?

Cheers

No, it's out of range. It seems there are quite a few migrants which breed further north in Chukotka but not in Kamchatka, Willow Warbler being one. I suppose their migration routes take them up through Siberia and they don't have any routes through the Kurile Islands. So, since birds taking the former route are unlikely to migrate back south in summer before breeding they never end up in Kamchatka.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back