• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taped Teleconverter Question (1 Viewer)

If a lens is f4 or faster (i.e. more light) I think the camera's AF works faster (i.e. tries to focus faster) so if the camera does not know that there is a teleconvertor there, it will still try to focus as if it had f4 of light not f5.6 - hence increased hunting.

If I am correct, then I don't think that the Kenko will solve your problem Roy. It is how the camera's AF responds to the reported aperture (the AF is seperate to the meter which measures actual light).

With regard to the Canon convertors hunting but not Kenko (POTN thread) - I wonder if they send extra data to the camera AF?
All sounds reasonable to me Mark, you could be right about the f4.

Last edited:
To be fair Roy, if he does report back favourably he'll only be confirming what I'd told him about the Kenko..!

;) ;) ;)
Just read the feedback on POTN Keith - seems fairly positive. Although he has a different lens to me I guess it would still have the same effect on the prime. The one thing I cannot do very well with the Canon tc is BIF and if a Kenko could help me with this it would be worth it to me.
I have a few questions about the Kenko.
Is the Teleplus Pro 300 DG the same animal ?
I have seen both black and white ones - are they both the same tc?
Best price I can see is £99, anyone know of any better deals at the moment?

Cheers
Roy C

I placed an order for a "KENKO Pro 300 1.4X 1.4 DG Teleconverter Converter(CANON)" with UR-Galaxy in Hong Kong last week. I'm hoping for delivery on Monday. Price was £69 including delivery and with a "no VAT" guarantee stated in the item descripton (but not the item title). I've bought from them once in the past with no problem.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KENKO-Pro-300...oryZ4687QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's a guy called "Lightrules" on POTN and pbase, who has performed several back to back lens reviews and he rates the Kenko 1.4X highly. Apparently the DG one is the newer version, and black, while the non-DG is older and white (nice with "L" glass). In terms of performance there is supposed to be nothing to chose between them. Have a look at this thread - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=313294 - complete with a nice picture of the white finish.

Last edited:
I still struggle with BIFs when the Kenko is on, Roy - but I'm happy enough with the trade-off because I'm not addicted to BIFs.

I still get it right sometimes though..!

Yep, the Teleplus Pro 300 DG is the kiddy. I believe the colour difference is purely cosmetic (mine's black).

£99 is as good as any UK price I've seen, Roy - I paid £130 from Fotosense: it was in stock with them, and I needed it quickly.

Maybe worth asking Ian Kerr for a quote?

Attachments

• greylag1f.jpg
    greylag1f.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 127
I still struggle with BIFs when the Kenko is on, Roy - but I'm happy enough with the trade-off because I'm not addicted to BIFs.

I still get it right sometimes though..!

Yep, the Teleplus Pro 300 DG is the kiddy. I believe the colour difference is purely cosmetic (mine's black).

£99 is as good as any UK price I've seen, Roy - I paid £130 from Fotosense: it was in stock with them, and I needed it quickly.

Maybe worth asking Ian Kerr for a quote?
Just read on another site of a guy who has the 400mm f5.6 and Kenko Pro 300 and this is his comment:
"I use the Kenko with my 400mm Roy and the AF hunts a lot, although I've never tried the Canon converter. It needs a very contrasty subject and a bit of patience."
Now I am totally confused :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

Hmmm...

What body is he using, Roy?

Maybe (and I'm just putting this out there - not looking for another "zoom vs prime" argument) the 100-400 is simply better than the prime with the Kenko TC?

I think you're going to have to borrow a Kenko from someone and have a go yourself, Roy.

Same sensor set up, according to DPReview:

Nine point Auto Focus sensor (same as EOS 30D) with F2.8 support

But then you have to wonder if the 30D delivers more current to the lens than the 400D - that might explain differences in performance...

Roy,

seen "Nicksan's" comment now that he's got the Kenko?

I can tell you that with the Kenko, it's infinitely better [than the Canon]... it'll hunt on occasion, especially when it cannot find enough contrast. But then the 100-400 w/o TC would also hunt...albeit more mildly.

Roy,

I can tell you that with the Kenko, it's infinitely better [than the Canon]... it'll hunt on occasion, especially when it cannot find enough contrast. But then the 100-400 w/o TC would also hunt...albeit more mildly.
Yes Keith - I told you that I had seen it this morning :t:
Only problem I have is that from the sound of it "Nicksan" had far more problems with the Canon and 100-400 than I have ever had with the 400 prime so maybe he is now back up to the same level of hunting that I get with the Canon (certainly sounds like it). I would love to hear from a user who has the same set-up as me (Lens and Camera) and has tried both converters.
There seems to be a lot of conflicting reports on these f5.6 lenses with converters - Some people get on fine and yet others with exactly the same set-up say it is almost unusable. Like you say Keith, I don't think I will find out until I get hold of a Kenko and try for myself.

Lost me there, Roy - Nick seems happy with the performance of the lens, with and without the Kenko...

Are we looking at different threads?

;)

Oh, and he only posted the comment I quoted at 6pm, so unless you've recently upgraded to an "L" glass crystal ball, you can't have referred to it this morning..!

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3387577&postcount=41

;) ;) ;)
Looks like I must have been looking at a different thread this morning then Keith - I will take another Gander.

Lost me there, Roy - Nick seems happy with the performance of the lens, with and without the Kenko...

Are we looking at different threads?

;)

Oh, and he only posted the comment I quoted at 6pm, so unless you've recently upgraded to an "L" glass crystal ball, you can't have referred to it this morning..!

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3387577&postcount=41

;) ;) ;)
You had me worried for a while Keith, I thought I had really lost the plot:'D . I was referring to his post of 02.40 am this morning (post #24). Don't tell me you actually went to bed last night and missed it ;) ;) ;)

As Keith says the only way I will know how the Kenko works with my set-up is to try one so I have ordered one from UR-Galaxy (£69 inc postage - thanks to 'tdodd').
It will be no big deal if it turns out to be no better than the Canon - I could always stack the two 1.4's and my teleplus 2x ;) ;) ;) ;)

Roy,

Well I bought the Canon 1.4x TC and on my first trip out with it yesterday it was terrible. I missed so many shots because it was hunting so much and it never locked on before the bird was gone.

Granted the sky was overcast however I don't consider I was exactly trying to push its limits. Take the heron at 50ft...hardly rocket propelled eh....lock on nada. If I listen and watch you can see it focussing either side of dead on and after about 6-8 diminishing movements it makes it...this of course is not panning with a bird in flight. It seems worst at 400mm the end I need :C

Without this TC on my 5D and 100-400 IS L zoom locks on almost immediately.

I tried 'one shot' and 'AI Focus' various ISOs etc no difference. No tripod, all hand held with both IS1 & 2.

This is a big disappointment. Any tips folks? Or is it going to be 'I told you so' :-C

Jamie

Well I bought the Canon 1.4x TC and on my first trip out with it yesterday it was terrible. I missed so many shots because it was hunting so much and it never locked on before the bird was gone.

Granted the sky was overcast however I don't consider I was exactly trying to push its limits. Take the heron at 50ft...hardly rocket propelled eh....lock on nada. If I listen and watch you can see it focussing either side of dead on and after about 6-8 diminishing movements it makes it...this of course is not panning with a bird in flight. It seems worst at 400mm the end I need :C

Without this TC on my 5D and 100-400 IS L zoom locks on almost immediately.

I tried 'one shot' and 'AI Focus' various ISOs etc no difference. No tripod, all hand held with both IS1 & 2.

This is a big disappointment. Any tips folks? Or is it going to be 'I told you so' :-C

Jamie
Jamie, I am convinced that the Canon 1.4 tc (taped) effects zooms more than primes. My 70-200 f4 is absolutely terrible with the taped tc (not that I need to tape on a f4) but my 400mm f5.6 prime locks on 90% of the time with no problems.
But to be fair you do need good light to test your set-up because your Camera (and all other non 1 series) was only meant to AF at f5.6.
Having said that there are a few things that I use to good effect:
1. Use the full time manual focus to get roughly in focus and then let the AF finish the job.

2. When the hunting starts, release the shutter button and depress again - sometime it will lock right on using this method.

Last edited:
Jamie, I am convinced that the Canon 1.4 tc (taped) effects zooms more than primes. My 70-200 f4 is absolutely terrible with the taped tc (not that I need to tape on a f4) but my 400mm f5.6 prime locks on 90% of the time with no problems.
But to be fair you do need good light to test your set-up because your Camera (and all other non 1 series) was only meant to AF at f5.6.
Having said that there are a few things that I use to good effect:
1. Use the full time manual focus to get roughly in focus and then let the AF finish the job.

2. When the hunting starts, release the shutter button and depress again - sometime it will lock right on using this method.

Thanks Roy, Looks like your method 2 is an automated method 1 and could be quicker at getting nearly there. I'll try releasing the shutter button and see if I get any success..I'll let you know.

Jamie

I reckon we need to organise The Great BF Converter Test-In!

How about Salthouse at the beginning of September? Many of us will probably be there anyway..!

;) ;) ;)

I reckon we need to organise The Great BF Converter Test-In!

How about Salthouse at the beginning of September? Many of us will probably be there anyway..!

not the best place for the test, if you're at Salthouse in September you will have better things to do then test one tc against another...

I think one important thing to remember is that when using a 1.4x tc (with pins taped) with either the 100-400 or the 400 f5.6 on a non 1 series body, you are trying to make the camera do something it's not designed to do. So I guess we shoud lbe pleases when it works, not annoyed when it doesn't. There really is little reason to it (as far as I can see), just seems to be a matter of buying one and trusting to luck! I have seen identical set ups side by side where one works fine with a tc and the other doesn't.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back