• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 1D Mk III - CF adjustments for long lenses (1 Viewer)

Barry Boswell

I got my new Mark III camera earlier this month - as luck would have it just two days before I went off on a holiday in Spain. I only managed a limited amount of bird photography and I used the camera straight out of the box without trying to make any minor tweaks or adjustments. I use a 400mm f4 DO lens for hand held or flight shots and a 500 f4 for tripod shots (often with a 1.4 teleconverter).

Initial results were good, but I felt could have been better. OK, I know it takes a good while to get used to a new camera but... Quite a few flight shots were not at all sharp when they were taken at a leisurely pace and should have been. The autofocus for flight shots was great against an uncluttered backgroung - ie the sky, but often I could get no lock at all when the subject was below the skyline.

Even some shots of stationary (small) birds were out of focus because the centre focusing point seemed to pick up on the area around the bird - ie the hedge or the ground - and so throw the bird slightly out of focus. It is almost as though the focusing point is too large.

Having said all of that - sometimes it worked stunningly well as with the Hoopoe which settled for just and instand and then was gone.

So - the main point of this posting - there are a lot of adjustments that can be made using the Custom Functions and I just wondered if anyone has worked out some useful ones that help when using long lenses.

I am also being a bit lazy and trying to eliminate a lot of trial and error!

Barry Boswell

Attachments

• 040X0195B.jpg
    040X0195B.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 142
I got my new Mark III camera earlier this month - as luck would have it just two days before I went off on a holiday in Spain. I only managed a limited amount of bird photography and I used the camera straight out of the box without trying to make any minor tweaks or adjustments. I use a 400mm f4 DO lens for hand held or flight shots and a 500 f4 for tripod shots (often with a 1.4 teleconverter).

Initial results were good, but I felt could have been better. OK, I know it takes a good while to get used to a new camera but... Quite a few flight shots were not at all sharp when they were taken at a leisurely pace and should have been. The autofocus for flight shots was great against an uncluttered backgroung - ie the sky, but often I could get no lock at all when the subject was below the skyline.

Even some shots of stationary (small) birds were out of focus because the centre focusing point seemed to pick up on the area around the bird - ie the hedge or the ground - and so throw the bird slightly out of focus. It is almost as though the focusing point is too large.

Having said all of that - sometimes it worked stunningly well as with the Hoopoe which settled for just and instand and then was gone.

So - the main point of this posting - there are a lot of adjustments that can be made using the Custom Functions and I just wondered if anyone has worked out some useful ones that help when using long lenses.

I am also being a bit lazy and trying to eliminate a lot of trial and error!

Barry Boswell

carn't help but you do know that Lots of people have had AF problem's with the mk3 regardless of what settings they have tried .
Rob.

I think users of the MkIII are still searching for optimum settings and from my reading so far, there are conflicting comments about the Custom functions. You could try C. Fn-III-5 set to off and use the inner circle of 9 points for flight shots. It seems, whatever works for you is best.

Im still awating my MkIII !!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back