• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need advice: Canon PowerShot S3 IS + teleconverter TC-DC58B (1 Viewer)

Cristian Mihai

Cristian Mihai
From the beginning I have to say that I don't know very much about cameras...
I have a digital camera Canon PowerShot S3 IS and my intention is to buy a teleconverter TC-DC58B to obtain a maximum optical zoom around 18x.
I've got two questions:
1. What will happen with the digital zoom of the camera - it will work properly with the TC?
2. I want an advice about using TC-DC58B and the conversion lens adapter LA-DC58E. Maybe there is another solution with similar total optical zoom and a better quality/price rapport?

Canon S3 IS and the Canon TC-DC58B

Hi Cristian,

I can help you with some of your questions.

1. What will happen with the digital zoom of the camera - it will work properly with the TC?

Yes it will. The digital zoom of the S3 will still function the same as without the TC-DC58B. However, the same image degradation will occur when using digital zoom. I've had relatively good success with my G7 and 2X Canon teleconverter and digital zooming.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ambroseliao/CanonG7WithCanonTCDC58CAndDigitalZoomSamples

Also realize that the TC-DC58B will add significantly to the bulk of the camera.

2. I want an advice about using TC-DC58B and the conversion lens adapter LA-DC58E. Maybe there is another solution with similar total optical zoom and a better quality/price rapport?

There is another manufacturer of lens adapters for the S3 IS. www.lensmateonline.com makes an all aluminum adapter for the S3 which I highly recommend. It's much tougher than the plastic one that Canon sells. Lensmateonline.com also has sample shots of many wide angle and telephoto converters on their website.

I say go for it and buy the TC-DC58B. It will increase your enjoyment of the S3 IS tremendously!

Ambrose
moderator of the Canon S3 IS Yahoo Group.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CanonS3IS/

Hi Cristian,

There is another manufacturer of lens adapters for the S3 IS. www.lensmateonline.com makes an all aluminum adapter for the S3 which I highly recommend. It's much tougher than the plastic one that Canon sells. Lensmateonline.com also has sample shots of many wide angle and telephoto converters on their website.
]

I absolutely agree with this. The lensmate adaptor is great. I wasn't happy about the plastic canon one, I thought it was likely to cross thread. The aluminium is so much tougher and you do keep taking the lens on and off and sooner or later it would. I use the Raynox 1.54X teleconvertor lens, DCR-1540PRO, with my S2 and have had no problems with it.

Joanne

Hi Cristian,

I recently added the TC DC58B to my Canon S3 IS. Like the others I don't use the Canon adapter as I also prefer the (cheaper) metal option. I purchased my adapter on line and it came with a 'flower' lens hood and UV filter. Since buying the tele converter I've never needed to switch on the digital zoom as the power without it is more than sufficient for my needs.

I did swither about spending the money as they are not cheap but having got it I am delighted with my purchase and the difference it made to my camera.

Derek

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back