• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (2 Viewers)

I had the lube handy, Ken!

Went back to Dawlish on the bus to keep it 'green'. Took one look at the choppy sea and thought, "No chance!".

About forty to fifty hopefuls were there with some coming and going.

Went and enjoyed myself just mooching around instead.

I do suspect it is still around and may show again when the winds abate. I hope so.

It's my bet that the bird will stay the winter. After all, it's hardly going to fly back to the Pacific, and Dawlish is a sheltered spot. When last seen it was still in very good health.

First winter Med Gull coming to bread at the end of Marine Parade, Preston seafront this afternoon...its been around for a few days now.

The Firecrest said:
It's my bet that the bird will stay the winter. After all, it's hardly going to fly back to the Pacific, and Dawlish is a sheltered spot. When last seen it was still in very good health.
Disagree, how many Guillemots do you know that have stayed in virtually the same spot, close inshore, for 4 months? I though it would disappear with the first storm....and it looks like that's happened....

Nowt on the Axe, few Med Gulls as usual and 5 Water Pipits at Colyford.

Velvet Scoter showing well off Otterton sewage works cliffs this morning boys.
oh and a late Whimbrel Otter est. Cattle Egret still halfway tween White Bridge and Otterton.

Tawny Owl somewhere between Totnes and Harbertonford at 6:50am.

No Bittern at dawn by Deer Bridge on Slapton Ley. Shame.

Slapton Ley (various parts of it) gave up 5 Goldcrest, a drake Goldeneye, 11 Ruddy Ducks, 7 Shoveler, 41 Pochard, 34 Tufted Duck, a Chiffchaff and two large flocks of 200+ Wood Pigeon heading south. No Scaup, sadly.

Beesands had a Chiffchaff, 15 Tufted Duck, 11 Shoveler and 2 Grey Heron.

A Peregrine was all that was on offer at Bolberry Down with a Merlin nearby at East Soar.

The young female Scaup showed well today at Wistlandpound Reservoir.

Drive up the A361. Turn off onto the A399 northwards towards Combe Martin. Keep going for a decent while (no mileage clocked, sorry) and there is a brown sign for the reservoir down a road on the left. When you pull into the car park, drive down to the end and down a tarmac track going left. This leads you to another car park closer to the reservoir.

The bird was at the north end with Mallards.

Best of luck. Took me three attempts. Where it goes beats me.

Did anyone notice Devon.Birder on BBC Spotlight last night?
He's got Dormice in his garden that get into the bird feeders !!!

Ian

Black Redstart in Sidmouth yesterday. Showed well on the chimney of one of the thatched cottages opposite Westcliff Hotel as well as on the hotel itself and in the surrounding trees. Nice adult male. How many more winters will it return for?

Female Merlin at Northam Burrows this afternoon on The Skern as were at least 400 Golden Plover. No sign of the American version in the flock.

No Hen Harrier at Bursdon Moor from three o'clock until dark. Nice Barn Owl briefly at five to four though. Thousands of Starlings streaming through for ages to a roost. One flock stretched in a line from one end of the moor to the other!

Brent Geese

Had a look around part of Kingsbridge Estuary today. Saw 76 Dark-bellied Brent Geese with not a single first winter bird amongst them so presumably a very poor breeding year. This time last year 15 out of 96 birds were first winters. Is it the same elsewhere ?
Other birds seen today included Great Northern Diver, 2 Med Gulls, Little Gull, 18 Pintails, Spotted Redshank and c 1000 Golden Plover.
Perry

Thought I should mention this on our 'sister thread'. Cracking Yellow-browed Warbler at Beer Quarry for second day. Showed superbly this morning.

Steve Waite said:
Thought I should mention this on our 'sister thread'. Cracking Yellow-browed Warbler at Beer Quarry for second day. Showed superbly this morning.

Can you give us directions for Beer Quarry please Steve. Thanks. Roger

It's opposite the entrance to the famous Beer Quarry Caves, which is along the road that leads to Branscombe from Beer, the caves are on the northern edge of Beer. It's a private quarry, but the bird has been seen twice from the road.

Steve Waite said:
It's opposite the entrance to the famous Beer Quarry Caves, which is along the road that leads to Branscombe from Beer, the caves are on the northern edge of Beer. It's a private quarry, but the bird has been seen twice from the road.

Thanks Steve. Depending on the weather I may have a look tomorrow. Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back