• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whooping Cranes (1 Viewer)

Yes I did, KC. We are so lucky that there are people out there who are so dedicated to saving the species. Only 400 individuals in the world! I have seen 3 of the wild population at their wintering grounds at Aransas National Wildlife Refuge, near Corpus Christi, on the Texas coast. Next winter I want to do the boat tour with Captain Ted!

I'll tell you Helen, some moments of the documentary actually brought tears to my eyes. I thought it was well done, but the one instance where I watched a crane (non whooping) being shot out of the sky did me in.

KCFoggin said:
I'll tell you Helen, some moments of the documentary actually brought tears to my eyes. I thought it was well done, but the one instance where I watched a crane (non whooping) being shot out of the sky did me in.

Out of interest KC why would anyone be shooting Cranes?

Pete, I have no idea, but in some places like Texas there is an actual season for hunting the Sand Hill Cranes. I was appalled when I heard that. Although the State of Texas is not alone. This is no way is intended to upset the Texas members we have here. I guess I was a pollyanna and did not realize that there was an actual hunting season for the cranes.

This link might enlighten you a bit more.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hunt/regs/2004/animal_listing/#crane

Last edited:
KCFoggin said:
Pete, I have no idea, but in some places like Texas there is an actual season for hunting the Sand Hill Cranes. I was appalled when I heard that. Although the State of Texas is not alone. This is no way is intended to upset the Texas members we have here. I guess I was a pollyanna and did not realize that there was an actual hunting season for the cranes.

KC - I, too was upset by seeing the Sandhill Crane being shot, and really cannot understand why anyone would want to hunt them. Ducks, geese and deer for the table, yes. As you can see by the words under my avatar, I am not a Texan, but I do know that hunting is very popular with many people here, and if they eat what they kill, then fine. I have no idea whether Sandhills are any good for the table, though.

KCFoggin said:

well thanks it was very enlightening. They sure do like shooting things!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back