• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oman, Dhofar, Eagles and an odd LBJ (1 Viewer)

ekopa

Hello!

Please help me identify these birds from the Dhofar region of Oman. All photographed in Ayn Razat in December

1 Steppe Eagle?
2 Steppe Eagle?
3 Short-toed Eagle?
4 Which Eagle?
5 ??????

Thank you

Attachments

• 1E6A1926_Steppe.JPG
    1E6A1926_Steppe.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 1E6A1932_Steppe.JPG
    1E6A1932_Steppe.JPG
    305.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 1E6A1949_Short toed.JPG
    1E6A1949_Short toed.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 1E6A1955.JPG
    1E6A1955.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 1E6A2031.JPG
    1E6A2031.JPG
    613.4 KB · Views: 145
Shining, Palestine and Nile Valley all occur in the area. This looks most like f or imm Palestine.

That was my thought as well. However the photographs that I can find of the female Palestine Sunbird are quite different from this one
Photos of the juveniles are more difficult to find but they all look like females

https://500px.com/photo/83388777/juvenile-palestine-sunbird-by-photostock-israel
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-fe...-orange-tufted-sunbird-cinnyris-69650026.html

I don't think the last bird is a Palestine sunbird, in fact, it does not look like a sunbird at all to me. Don't know what it is though, an escape?

One bird which does feed on discarded fruit like this is Abyssinian White-eye, and in some ways this bird reminds me of one, but even if the bill is deformed, where's the eye-ring?

It feels like an abyssinian white eye to me. The feathers look a bit worn around the eye too if you blow the picture up. Otherwise I have no ideas.

Indeed it looks like an AWE with a deformed bill and no eye ring. Question - how do immatures look like? Do the have the white eye ring?

When I saw it - the first impression from the jizz and the behavior was it's an odd Phylosc warbler... Then I noticed the bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back