• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

I post, without comment, two bursts of song of a Phylloscopus warbler recorded in the Dell, Wells Woods, this week.

Attachments

• Chiffillow Warbler.mp3
    759.8 KB · Views: 170
Birders away

Kent Dusky Thrush. With many birders away in Kent does that mean the good bird(s) in Norfolk will slip by unseen?

Probably.

If anyone's out at Overy Dunes tomorrow, I flushed a nightingale sp. from the suaeda just west of Gun Hill at 4 pm this afternoon. It landed in the privet somewhere around the old chimney stack, but could not be refound. Might be worth a look, you never know.....

Nope, male Bluethroat at Blakeney Point this morning though not as good as a mega turdus.

From my experience of updating Birdline East Anglia (for the last 25 years!) there seems to be a relative lack of bird news in East Anglia on days that coincide with the first day that most birders travel for a major rarity outside the region. As would be expected.

When this happens at what is potentially one of the best weekends of the year, for rare birds in Norfolk, it must mean things will be missed. Its probably a good thing we'll never know what they were.

Its probably a good thing we'll never know what they were.

We’ll probably find out in a few days, when it’s ID’d from a photo, Robin.

I was not one of those who wanted a serious case of Thrush in Kent, having seen dozens in furrin’. However, having been to a few local places, I found little evidence of incoming.

The ultimate Willow\Chiff or as you say Chiffilow. Any pics?

No, FOOON. I recorded it, using my camera’s video capability, then converted the MP4 to an mp3. I had one glimpse of the bird, against the sky. It seemed cleanish white under: more Willow than Chiff.

I post, without comment, two bursts of song of a Phylloscopus warbler recorded in the Dell, Wells Woods, this week.

There's a mixed singer that has been by Felbrigg Lake for the last couple of weeks. Most of the time it sings just like a normal Willow Warbler but then throws in the odd bit of Chiffchaffing now and again, but when there is a Chiffy singing within earshot it changes almost entirely to Chiffchaffing itself and tries its best to defend its territory from the intruding bird.

Simon

Golden Oriel seen reported the Swanton Novers watchpoint this afternoon. I did not see it , but heard the bird within the reserve. Red kite present most mornings . A honey buzzard has been reported on Thursday and Friday, but I have not seen anything more than a possible very distant bird as have been busy with other work and have had little time in the watchpoint , but have no reason to doubt the reports. No reports today, but given the weather thats not a surprise. We need some sun for a good chance to see any raptors. Raptors are usualy hard work in this cloudy cold dismal weather.

Just back at Coastguards from BP at a respectable time of 9.30pm!!!! Was photographing the bluethroat a few yards away all by myself!!!! SEO near plantation too.

Full update later.

Don't get me involved haha. Just got back, brilliant day. Smashing The Point tomorrow, so be back doing my part for the county.

Kieran

Kieran - if you look for the bluethroat in the morning - it favours this area: as you walk along the shingle after Halfway house look for a huge piece of old timber on your right hand side, shortly after this on your left is a bright yellow plastic container. This is where I saw it mostly. Top tip - sit and wait for it to appear rather than stand:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back