• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (4 Viewers)

Greenish

Over the next half an hour we were treated to some very nice views, even through his telescope while the bird sat preening for the best part of a minute, thanks Josh. For a phyllosc in sueda it showed remarkably well.
Happy days

what are you saying about my scope! ;) as you said yourself only a couple of mice been having a go at it, was the tripod that's heading for the dustbin :-O nice to catch up get back on the scene having flipped out to the fifth dimension for a while back then.

Big mixed flock of Tits and Warblers in the quarry this morning but nothing better than Garden and Lightthroat. Shrike visible as a blob from the Freshes this evening.Was out yesterday too - very quite - after a couple of years of slogging the patch concluded that the Point picks up most scarcities and only a few of the more arbohorrible stuff gets through to my gaff

A well-behaved group at the Greenish Warbler and this no doubt contributed to everyone getting views. The first Greenish I saw on Blakeney in the 90's was kicked from sueda bush to sueda bush and nobody got good views. Nobody was listening to me or my mate even though he was 6ft tall and a black belt in karate.

I managed a photo of today's bird but because of the distance it is not great. More on my Flickr site.

Watching Josh demonstrate the "Art of Zen and Telescope Maintenance" was a pleasant destraction at times. :eek!:

Well yea I remember the Pallas's Gropper on Blakeney Point a few years ago which was encircled like Custer's last stand!
Was it over the other side of the creek at the end of the path? Didn't cross the creek but instead waited at the top of the mound and where the path ran through and down at the bottom with no luck!

Last edited:
Went this evening for the Greenish, was there from 4:45-6:45, no sign, what are the chances?
Any chance of some accurate location details? Everyone I met was either vague or clueless as to where the bird was!
I had a hunch it was in the sueda in front of you from the halfway house path, as the path opened out a little with the sueda in front of you as you looked to Blakeney church?
Cheers

Now then young Oliver I was neither vague (I hope) or clueless (see previous post). :cat:

As I told you and your dad, walk south on the path in front of Halfway House, just before the channel follow the obvious path east for a few yards and stand on the raised lump. View the sueda towards Blakeney Church. The bird was in the sueda towards the edge of the channel. It worked for me. ;)

Maybe you should have asked Stuart and Josh as they were just in front of me as I walked back.

Well yea I remember the Pallas's Gropper on Blakeney Point a few years ago which was encircled like Custer's last stand!
Was it over the other side of the creek at the end of the path? Didn't crossed but instead waited at the top of the mound the path ran through and down at the bottom of the path with no luck!

Sorry but sounds like you were in exactly the right spot

Butterflying at North Norfolk

Can anyone recommend any particularly good locations in North West Norfolk
for Butterflies this weekend?
Nice to see a few good migrants about.
Best
Mick

Now then young Oliver I was neither vague (I hope) or clueless (see previous post). :cat:

As I told you and your dad, walk south on the path in front of Halfway House, just before the channel follow the obvious path east for a few yards and stand on the raised lump. View the sueda towards Blakeney Church. The bird was in the sueda towards the edge of the channel. It worked for me. ;)

Maybe you should have asked Stuart and Josh as they were just in front of me as I walked back.

Ah no wasn't referring to you! Basically very hacked with the people that were there at the time! Was being told to look in all sorts of places and even had a couple go off and trample the sueda!
Just bad luck and a case of bad company/not listening properly to directions given by yourself!
Guess I will have to face the walk again!
Apologies if you thought my accusations were aimed at you! Really not, Just as I said, bad luck!

Last edited:
Ah no wasn't referring to you! Basically very hacked with the people that were there at the time! Was being told to look in all sorts of places and even had a couple go off and trample the sueda!
Just bad luck and a case of bad company/not listening properly to directions given by yourself!
Guess I will have to face the walk again!
Apologies if you thought my accusations were aimed at you! Really not, Just as I said, bad luck!

The problems of twitching and the fact that birds move around!

Greenish was cracking today, apparently it flew over my head as I was watching a Wryneck yesterday afternoon so I'm glad I eventually got to see it! Thanks to Josh (I think) for clue-ing me in on the location, Im sure you'll find one on the right side of the Glaven one day!

Thursday late afternoon/ early Friday (if the rain clears) looks pretty good to drop a few bits in (check Met Office website), though not being a betting kinda guy wouldn't like to guess what could appear anywhere, though personally I'm hoping for a Brown Fly wherever I end up on Friday Morning!

Went this evening for the Greenish, was there from 4:45-6:45, no sign, what are the chances?
Any chance of some accurate location details? Everyone I met was either vague or clueless as to where the bird was!
I had a hunch it was in the sueda in front of you from the halfway house path, as the path opened out a little with the sueda in front of you as you looked to Blakeney church?
Cheers

Bad luck Orville, looks like you chose the only two hour window when the bird didn't show, I phoned it in at 4.35pm and it was on the pager again at 7pm. Nice touch in calling Dave, Vague and Clueless, bad luck he looks at bird forum!

Bad luck Orville, looks like you chose the only two hour window when the bird didn't show, I phoned it in at 4.35pm and it was on the pager again at 7pm. Nice touch in calling Dave, Vague and Clueless, bad luck he looks at bird forum!

As I said, wasn't aimed at Dave! He was a touch vague but I put that down to my lack of knowledge of the precise area rather than his description!
The clueless part was aimed at others present when I was there!
Again a case of not wording my posts properly!

As I said, wasn't aimed at Dave! He was a touch vague but I put that down to my lack of knowledge of the precise area rather than his description!
The clueless part was aimed at others present when I was there!
Again a case of not wording my posts properly!

Paul Woolnough was there and posts on here. Paul are you clueless ?

On a more serious note, birds can be hard to find on blakeney point, you were just unlucky that all the poeple who had been watching it had left by the time you got there. Better luck next time.

Paul Woolnough was there and posts on here. Paul are you clueless ?

On a more serious note, birds can be hard to find on blakeney point, you were just unlucky that all the poeple who had been watching it had left by the time you got there. Better luck next time.

Wouldn't know him if I saw him! I am probably over reacting, just in a rather spiky mood, not easy walking that distance with a torn back muscle, especially as I missed the bird but hey ho!
Its just unfortunate that I had the car crash 6 weeks ago, been without a car ever since and my dad has been very ill since the crash so makes getting out very hard.
Why i'm gutted about today as not sure when I will next be able to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back