• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First signs of spring (1 Viewer)

Mesquites and various desert wildflowers are all in bloom now, as well as citrus trees in town.

Oops, those were acacias; mesquites have yet to flower.

Saw a Verdin feeding nestlings on campus yesterday, and a Black-chinned Hummingbird collecting nesting material.

With temperatures reaching the 30's (90F), I'd say that we are seeing "first signs of summer" here in southern Arizona! Our "lawn" of little mustard plants, which took over the yard through the winter, are all dead now, returning our front yard to the bare sand which greeted our arrival here last summer.

Are the Redstarts, Pied Flycatchers, Whitethroat, Groppers, Reed and Sedge Warblers all late in the UK? Have any areas had their "falls"? Not many locally yet.

had my first Orangetip of the year and my first Hertfordshire Willow Warbler. Hertfordshire local patch megas came in the form of White Wagtail (a decent Spring indicator species) and singing Cetti's Warbler

I had forgotten about this thread... Was out yesterday working in the yard and was impressed with the almost cobalt blue sky and had a butt ton of finches and a few cardinals, bluebirds, and a nuthatch or two. The finches were mobbing a new thistle sock I'd put up. One was really being a bully if the others got anywhere on the sock...

I suppose you could finally call it spring here in the northern midwest (although it did snow a bit a few days ago :eek!: ). Snow still covers portions of our yard, but some grass is sprouting. I saw my first Yellow-Rumped a week or so ago as well (see below). The woodpeckers have been busy drilling away, and I saw one Fox Sparrow the other day. A White-Throated sparrow has been singing away and a Phoebe has at last appeared. Hopefully the migrants will soon be pouring in like usual.

Attachments

• YRWeditcrop.jpg
    YRWeditcrop.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 21
Do Fireflies count?
Thought maybe neighbors had their wood stove going,
lightning bugs are out and a flashin'.
American Redstart female, in daylight earlier means movement is approaching a crescendo here.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back