• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Needed (1 Viewer)

andy90210

Hi

I found a bird in the front garden this morning and it's sat by a bush and only moved a few feet from time to time in the last 6 hours. It looks a little rough and there's feathers on the lawn. I'm worried that if it can't fly, the foxes will get it tonight.

Any advice - should I attempt to help it ?

regards
Andy

Attachments

• IMG_0308a.jpg
    IMG_0308a.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 47
Hi Andy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sorry I can't quite work out what this bird is, so have moved your post to the ID forum and subscribed you to the thread so you can find it easily.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds, which I hope you will find useful.

It's a young Wood Pigeon, and it looks too young to fly or defend itself. It may have fallen out of a nest, any trees nearby?

If you can get it back in the nest it will be cared for by it's parents and be fine... assuming it's not injured and the parents are still alive. Leaving it where it is will ensure the local Cats get it, or if it's lucky, a Fox (Cats won't kill it straight away, a Fox will)

Agree with Chris, but I would add that it is best if you can find somewhere nearby that you can put it up out of the way of cats/foxes but near where you found it. It is a young wood-pigeon (a squab) and will be tended by the parents. It does seem to have some flight feathers so it might be able to fly a bit. You'll soon find out when you try to pick it up!

Mick

Thanks. I has a look but can't see the nest in the tree nearby. I'll leave it a few more hours and take a look before night time. When i tried to grab it, it did move the wings quite a bit and hop !

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back