• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A word of warning (1 Viewer)

Bencw

I won, on that well known auction site a 8x30 jenoptem, from the photo in good shape, and described in glowing terms. It was sent by tracked recorded delivery. I opened the very well packaged item, then the Zeiss case, to find a broken Zenith 8x30. After numerous emails, the seller still insisted that they sent Zeiss binoculars. The package did not seem to have been tampered with so I can only draw one conclusion. The clever bit of this scam is that by sending it recorded, they can prove I received and signed for the package, so they can put anything inside it and then just insist it contained what you bought and infer you have switched it. I guess I'm not the first to be caught like this, but I will carefully check the feedback as a seller of anyone I buy from in future. This person had 100% positive feedback, but when I checked that was only as a buyer of few items.

. There are many so-called Zeiss binoculars on a well-known auction site that are clearly not Zeiss from the photos although they are marked Zeiss.
Some Japanese probably fakes, some may be modern perhaps Chinese where you can have whatever you want printed on the binocular even if it is completely fanciful.

The situation you describe seems to be fraud.

The sellers of the Zeiss fakes could claim perhaps honestly that they did not know that they are not in fact Zeiss binoculars.

With actual Zeiss binoculars some could be East some could be West.
There was also a trademark dispute and in the USA different names were used.

If you paid via Paypal, you can open a dispute to recover your money - either thru them or directly thru that well known suite . . .

Send them back recorded delivery then claim you money back through visa under distance selling. Its not what you ordered. Visa have to give your money back because you have returned the goods even if the seller refuses to refund...

I won, on that well known auction site a 8x30 jenoptem, from the photo in good shape, and described in glowing terms. It was sent by tracked recorded delivery. I opened the very well packaged item, then the Zeiss case, to find a broken Zenith 8x30. After numerous emails, the seller still insisted that they sent Zeiss binoculars. The package did not seem to have been tampered with so I can only draw one conclusion. The clever bit of this scam is that by sending it recorded, they can prove I received and signed for the package, so they can put anything inside it and then just insist it contained what you bought and infer you have switched it. I guess I'm not the first to be caught like this, but I will carefully check the feedback as a seller of anyone I buy from in future. This person had 100% positive feedback, but when I checked that was only as a buyer of few items.

This is not good, but I suppose you have pictures of the item that you
thought you had purchased. Document all of this, it should include the
words Zeiss, etc.
I hope you get your money back.

Jerry

Use the ebay buyer protection policy and they have to take it back and refund your money. Ebay will step in and take the funds from the buyer and refund them to you regardless of what the seller says.
CG

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back