• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowitcher ID (1 Viewer)

DarkFireFalcon

I'm curious to see what people think of this dowitcher. The photos aren't all that good, but they show the tail pattern, bill and breast pretty well. Seems to be pretty heavily barred on the flanks, and the molt sequence seems a bit odd (probably due to the wing injury) but everything else points to SB Dowitcher, no?

The photos were taken in Portland, Maine, USA last week (sorry for omitting that from the title).

Attachments

• IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    529.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1427.JPG
    IMG_1427.JPG
    404.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1428.JPG
    IMG_1428.JPG
    435.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1447.JPG
    IMG_1447.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
This molting bird is in bad feather-shape. Though in pic 4 there is a good view of upper-tail. The dark bands here are wider than the white separating bands. This is a LBD feature. AFAIK. But could I id it as such on this piece of evidence? It's a start!
More comments would be welcome.
But I get a hunch that it's a LBD. No money down. ;)

It's got that hunchbacked "I swallowed an orange" kind of shape that suggests long-billed to me, but as Phil suggests, it's hard to be sure without more field marks.

Short-billed IMO.

Structure: not so long bill with a drooping tip and shortish legs.
Plumage: arched supercilium and heavily barred flanks retained from breeding plumage and if nything I'd say the tail pattern favours SBDO as well.

Weird molt sequence indeed...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back