• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Spotter XL II OR Nikon Spotting Scope RA60 (1 Viewer)

bunny

Similar in price, similar in specification - which is best for birding?

I am also interested in hearing your views on the Bushnell Natureview 60mm Spotting Scope with 15-45x Zoom and the Bushnell Trophy 50mm Waterproof & Rubber Armored Spotting Scope.

I need something cheap but with a decent image quality.

Last edited:
I've only tried the Nikon Spotting Scope RA60 out of the ones you mention, and it's a good scope for the price. Only Bushnell I've tried is the MM2 and wasn't overly impressed.

I have owned the 60 mm Earth and Sky (RA II) and have looked through the Spotter XL. If I am not mistaken you are comparing a roof prism style spotting scope (Spotter) with a porro prism style (RA II). The Spotter XL is phase coated so it should make up for it to some extent. Image quality is a toss up in my opinion with a slight edge going to the XL. However, in terms of size I thought the RA II was much more compact and a friendlier overall package in terms of focusing and design.

Anyway the Spotter XL II sounds too much like a Gerry Anderson title (for those of you who remember ´Fireball XL5´) ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back