• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (30 Viewers)

The Woodchat Shrike still here in flamborough in the gorse field to the south of Head Farm, up near the lighthouse, and visible from the cliff top path, it was showing a lot more better then it was on saturday this evening , and seems real settled down now, also 1 Whimbrel and a pair of Shelduck with 10 ducklings (which could be the first recorded breeding for flamborough!!) on the shore at old fall,
101e0848.jpg

101e0849.jpg

101e0781.jpg

Last edited:
Purple Heron

I had a walk down Pat haven tonight mainly looking for waders but on the lookout for the puple heron.
No sign at first but there were plenty of waders including whimbrel, black and bar tailed godwit some in immaculate summer plumage also greenshank and grey plover.
2 cuckoo a yellow wag and a barn owl completed the supporting cast.
The purple heron flew up out of the edge of the drain and landed distantly on the edge of a field .
It then flew back towards me giving much better views and landed towards the end of the outstray at Pat Haven.

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 134
Had another unsuccessful bash at padley gorge's wood warblers early saturday morning. Got loads of pied fly and redstart again with good numbers of nuthatch, gsw, tree pip etc. Should have gone to the Strid! I'm planning to go first thing this saturday or one evening this week. Is it getting a little late or should I still have a good chance?

Where was the Ruddy Shelduck Bob?

My only look at a wood warbler came in June a few years ago, so it's probably not too late but might be hard to find if there are a lot of leaves. My last two visits to the Strid were fruitless as I didn't even hear one.

My only look at a wood warbler came in June a few years ago, so it's probably not too late but might be hard to find if there are a lot of leaves. My last two visits to the Strid were fruitless as I didn't even hear one.

Grasswoods YWT used to be good for Wood Warbler - is it still?

A Monty's has been veering between the Yorks/Derbys border at Strines the last couple of evenings (photos at www.sbsg.org.uk on recent sightings page). I'm having a trip up there tonight - fingers crossed, as it would be a lifer.

Woodchat still here at flamborough once the morning fog had cleared, 1 marsh harrier south past old fall too , not much else around though so far,
101e0885.jpg

Spotted Sand at Stocks Res

Any Yorks listers know if the Spotted Sand at Stocks Res, Lancs is actually in VC64 and therefore OK for a Yorks list. I vaguely remember Stocks location being discussed somewhere before.

Cheers

Any Yorks listers know if the Spotted Sand at Stocks Res, Lancs is actually in VC64 and therefore OK for a Yorks list. I vaguely remember Stocks location being discussed somewhere before.

Cheers

YNU's Birds Section does not include records from Stocks Res and similar such sites. Areas on the county's western fringe that are already covered by Durham and Lancashire are not considered part of Yorkshire, even if they lie in VC63, 64 or 65; this decision was taken recently to avoid duplication of records being published in more than one Annual Report.

Saw a large BOP species out of the office window in Horsforth this afternoon. I'm assuming it was a Red Kite (although couldn't see the obvious tail) or Buzzard, but it broke the boredom of the working day. I was discretely trying to watch it out of the window whilst having a conversation with the boss. Don't think he noticed!!

Menston GGS

I've just noticed on Birdguides there's been a report of a Great Grey Shrike in Menston.

Can anyone provide me with further details, especially as this is 2 minutes down the road from me??

Richard

Saw a large BOP species out of the office window in Horsforth this afternoon. I'm assuming it was a Red Kite (although couldn't see the obvious tail) or Buzzard, but it broke the boredom of the working day. I was discretely trying to watch it out of the window whilst having a conversation with the boss. Don't think he noticed!!

Richard,

I saw a red kite circling over the train station area of Horsforth yesterday (Mon) - first I've seen there.

Purple Heron

I know this won't be easy, but can anyone assist in identifying the heron's favoured drain? I dipped on Sunday, but actually I'm starting to think it was present and the small knot of birders present were watching the wrong drain.

I drove down Humber Lane, where the road becomes rough track and parked up where the cars were all parked. I walked down the left hand edge of a field towards the estuary, where at the bottom of the field before the fence there was a thin narrow ditch stretching all the way up the field parallel to the estuary to where the ponds start.

I was told this was the ditch, but I think the bird was actuaklly in a wider drain (not ditch) on the other side of the floodbank closer to the pumping station and estuary - and probably present all along whilst I was there!

Notwithstanding that the bird could be in any drain, it does seem to be favouring a particular one where it re-orintates each morning. If anyone could assist or draw a map it would be appreciated.

Notwithstanding that the bird could be in any drain, it does seem to be favouring a particular one where it re-orintates each morning. If anyone could assist or draw a map it would be appreciated.

I think it favours the other bigger drain 45 deg to Outstray drain with Pumping station at the end, but here it can be easily flushed here as it is relatively open and you walk the high seawall to view the area.

Below are options, were we saw Sunday, if it gets in the small ditch it can be difficult to view without walking the ditch, as it has a hidden bend. If it gets on the reedbed in the circled area viewing is just as bad!! The reedbed is surrounded by Hawthorns mostly. There are plenty of other ditches in the general area. Hope this helps Steve.

Attachments

• Welwick PH map.jpg
    Welwick PH map.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 92
Lawts,

Further to previous answers, this is my personal account, but could've just been it's whereabouts on that particular day (Monday).
Pic below shows where I parked (red dot), trail I took (yellow dots), where the bird was favouring (arrow), it flushed to the other red dot then went back towards it's favoured place (arrow) when we'd retreated far enough.

It did seem settled around the arrow and proved it by going back there.

Cheers,

Q

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I know this won't be easy, but can anyone assist in identifying the heron's favoured drain? I dipped on Sunday, but actually I'm starting to think it was present and the small knot of birders present were watching the wrong drain.

I drove down Humber Lane, where the road becomes rough track and parked up where the cars were all parked. I walked down the left hand edge of a field towards the estuary, where at the bottom of the field before the fence there was a thin narrow ditch stretching all the way up the field parallel to the estuary to where the ponds start.

I was told this was the ditch, but I think the bird was actuaklly in a wider drain (not ditch) on the other side of the floodbank closer to the pumping station and estuary - and probably present all along whilst I was there!

You're right: it's not easy! It's a big area with all manner of hiding places, & when I was there last night there were no locals around to help. However...

Yes: down Humber Lane. Continue on to rough track but park up almost immediately & take track on left down to saltmarsh. When you reach the marsh turn right (west, upstream) & walk for about 400m to the first big drain running at 90 degrees down to the Humber (And at 90 degrees to your 'thin narrow ditch', I think: this remains on your right, parallel to the path you are walking on). The bird flew into this drain at 6 last night & stayed for a while hunting despite getting beaten up by two mute swans defending their nine cygnets. You can view along about half the length of this drain from this, the top end - then it swings right. Further along in the direction you have been walking are some reedy pools, one with a rather ramshackle hide, hidden amongst the bushes. I hear the heron has being getting in there too - tho' I wouldn't fancy my chances of connecting in that habitat.

If it's encouraging, I wandered around for over two hours late yesterday afternoon before it flew into the drain, but it then gave excellent views. I'd concentrate on checking drains & ditches, & staying in the open: your best chance might be to get it in flight, as I originally did. Good luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back