• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velbon FHD 52Q, longterm quality? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I'm still looking for that perfect light-weight tripod head. Weight, if possible, not over around 500 grams, yet decently stable. And hopefully useful both for my Nikon FS EDIII (60mm) and for my heavy Leica APO77. Presently, the Velbon FHD52Q head tickles my fancy. Any longer-term experiences anyone?

Velbon FHD52Q

Hi,

Yep, I have one. I was recently in the same position, wanting to replace the ball head that I had been using (trying to keep the set up lightweight). I also wanted to have a single action release like the old Slik D3 head or the metal velbon one, both of which are too heavy. I've only had it 2-3 months, but first impressions are good. It has a nice smooth panning action and I like that the locking mechanism for pan and tilt are controled via the same knob. I use mine with both a Swarovski 65 and Nikon ED50, both of which work well. Digiscoping with the Swarovski is difficult because of the centre of gravity.

The quick release plate is a little loose when located on the head, but not that it'll come off and I guess could easily be remedied with a little padding but I haven't bothered and I haven't noticed any negative effect when using the scope. One bonus I found with the Swarovski was that I didn't need to use a quick release plate it just slotted neatly onto the head.

As for long term durability your guess is as good as mine, but I am glad I bought it.

Hope this is of help.

Mark

Velbon FHD 52Q

Swissboy,

I looked long and hard for a lightweight fluid effect head for my ED50 and ended up with the FHD 52Q and I am very pleased with it. It's the lightest fluid effect head I could find with (concentric) separate pan and tilt locks. I think I paid around £30 on special offer a year or so ago. The concentric knobs arrangement looks like the more compact, but nearly 100g heavier Gitzo 2180, which is more than 5 x the price. I don't like a single pan and tilt lock, so the 52Q is great because you can use the knob in the centre to separately lock the pan and the concentric knob round the outside to separately lock the tilt. I'm not sure if it actually has fluid cartridges in it, but you can adjust the friction enough for a fluid effect by how hard you tighten the pan and/or tilt knobs.

Yes it's mostly plastic, but if you want lightest then it usually has to be. I don't find myself having to be careful with it because it's plastic, unlike the ED50 that sits on top of it !

The other great thing for me is that the pan bar is reversible - you can have it on the left or the right side depending on what you prefer.

Mark

ordered the Manfrotto 700 RC2 instead

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all your replies. After quite a bit of back and forth, I finally decided to go for the Manfrotto 700RC2. Hoping for a cherry such as the one Niels owns. ;) The Velbon head may be fine for my Nikon EDIII scope, but I don't trust the somewhat flimsy looking plate for the heavy Leica APO77. Particularly so after reading several comments in various places.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back