• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tripod without centre column (1 Viewer)

pimpelmees

hello, who uses a tripod without the center column for use with telescope, i want to use a 3541LS for this work, rarely i use the centre column on my current one ?

Looks like a great tripod,Tall enough to use without a column...and You COULD add a column if you want later on...I bought a Slik 700DX that had the column serrated and wasnt able to extend at all...never missed it,..In fact hate center columns ,if i think about it

Always seems fruitless to me to spend £1-3K on a scope just to balance it on top of a wobbly centre column but that's just my opinion.
Russ

I frequently use my scope on my 3530LS. Some may say it's overkill but the extra stability of a 3 series Gitzo is essential when you crank the magnification up!
However I use a straight (rater than angled) scope and the tripod height can be limiting. If you use an angled scope and are not too tall ( I am 5'9'') then the 3541 would be an excellent (if not the ultimate) choice. Try one out - I think you will be impressed - pity about the price!

A couple of less expensive alternatives to the Series 3 Gitzo Systematic tripods would be the Benro C3770T and the Sirui R-3203.

I think the main advantage of giving up the centre column is that it allows you to go up a number (e.g. Series 2 to Series 3) without a weight gain but with better vibration suppression.
Disadvantages are the ability to adjust the height quickly for different observers and that you might want more height in a hide with an angled scope - one can always bring the eyepiece level down by rotating the scope if you're not using a soc.

Otherwise, I think the deleterious effects of using the centre column are wildly exaggerated. They usually have a similar diameter to the top leg sections of the tripod and the vibration damping could even be better at a given height by extending the centre column instead of the spindly bottom leg sections of a 4 or 5 section tripod.

John

I have a Feisol 3301 with a manfrotto 501 HD Manfrotto head for my Pentax 80 ED. This light weight tripod (It does not have a centre column) can easily manage this heavy combo and I never need to use my 5541LS even in difficult windy conditions.

A Gitzo 3 series IMHO is an over kill for a simple large birding scope unless you have a real heavy astro telescope that you intend to use for birding.

I have a Feisol 3301 with a manfrotto 501 HD Manfrotto head for my Pentax 80 ED. This light weight tripod (It does not have a centre column) can easily manage this heavy combo and I never need to use my 5541LS even in difficult windy conditions.

A Gitzo 3 series IMHO is an over kill for a simple large birding scope unless you have a real heavy astro telescope that you intend to use for birding.

i will buy a gitzo 3531LS and will use it with a 701hdv head from manfrotto

ok, but i will going for the 3541LS, for the 4 sections = shorter collapse length

It's an excellent tripod. When I talk about reduced rigidity with more leg sections we are looking at minor very differences here, and collapsed length can important for travelling.
If you have not used a Gitzo before I a certain you will be impressed - it's not just what they do it's the way they do it!
Just something to note, there are some comments on other forums about Gitzo Systematic "Heads Falling Off"! The top (Safelock) plate is secured by friction so it is essential to check the tensioning bolt at regular intervals, especially if you carry it over your shoulder. I can't honestly say if this phenomenon is real, but others do,and Gitzo do not recommend carrying gear this way. However there is a VERY simple workaround. Due to the off center balance of my Wimberley2 I became concerned about cross threading it when mounting so I leave the head permanently attached to the top plate and simply fit/remove the whole head + top plate. This method makes 100% certain that the top plate is properly secured every time you use it so there is no danger of the top plate working loose, I also find it quicker and easier.

Happy new Gitzo - you will love it!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back