• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruddy Duck cull (1 Viewer)

keith

Can anybody tell me when this abomination is coming to an end? I've heard it's this year but nobody seems to know when, or even if it is!

At my local reservoir they have been culling them every year since it all started. Although this year a cull wasn't carried out. But I heard that at another couple of places in Derbyshire a cull was carried out this year.

I'm sure I heard something about ending in April just gone - can't remember where though....what a waste of time

Seeing as nobody seems to know for sure I've been in touch with DEFRA. They informed me that the eradication programme is now expected to end on 31 March 2011, However, beyond March 2011 it is likely that further limited measures will be taken to maintain control of the population to ensure that the aim of total eradiction is reached. Sad news for most of us genuine bird lovers.

Regarding the last two replies, White-headed Ducks are doing quite well if you've been looking at the situation in Spain, also good news for bird lovers.

Regarding the last two replies, White-headed Ducks are doing quite well if you've been looking at the situation in Spain, also good news for bird lovers.

Yes it is good news and I would think suggests the cull is working.

That's cause of the great work undertaken by fera.

Rubbish! Whether you for or against the cull, to suggest that it is the reason for the increase in the White-headed Duck population with no evidence (like the complete lack of evidence for the presence of British Ruddy Ducks in Spain strangely!) whatsoever it absurd - talking to Spanish birders it is clear the prime reason for the increase is better habitat management and protection - hence the lack of hybrids wandering around Spain (whose Ruddy Duck parent is probably from the western European countries who aren't participating in the cull anyway!)

Rubbish! Whether you for or against the cull, to suggest that it is the reason for the increase in the White-headed Duck population with no evidence (like the complete lack of evidence for the presence of British Ruddy Ducks in Spain strangely!) whatsoever it absurd - talking to Spanish birders it is clear the prime reason for the increase is better habitat management and protection - hence the lack of hybrids wandering around Spain (whose Ruddy Duck parent is probably from the western European countries who aren't participating in the cull anyway!)

Exactly!

Totally Agree

Lee Evans has requested that sightings of Ruddy Duck are not put out or made available as DEFRA (or their counterpart) are actively targeting individuals as soon as they are aware of their location. There are details on his website.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back