• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D7000 (1 Viewer)

The sniper

Hi guys.
Am looking at the Nikon D7000
I was speaking to a guy who runs photography courses yesterday,he recommended the D7000 to me,I currently have a D80 but just want that bit extra out of the camera,I currently use a sigma 150/500 lense,which I like
I did try someone else's D7000 yesterday with my sigma lense and the images were so much clearer,do you think this is a good choice,all items that I have read on the Internet seem to indicate this.

One other thing,I am torn between buying on line/shop or second hand
For the price,I think I will go for "from new" unless someone offers me one second hand at a very reasonable price,was wondering though who to purchase it off,you seem to be able to buy them for under £600 on line from people like digitalrev/value basket/procamerashop etc but I have never heard of these as I don't usually but stuff on line,any help is appreciated

Thanks
Rob

Hi I've just got a d7000 and find it's great! Moved from a D3000 I have a sigma 150-500 and find it a great lens Got rid of my first lens because it wasn't great with the D 3000 Glad I got another to go with the new camera. Bought mine from Currys Didn't want the hassle of getting one from Hong Kong or elsewhere and the problems associated with overseas purchases
John

I have to agree with John, I got the D7000 this August and was previously usind the d3000 with my Sigma 150-500 mm and the difference is amazing, its another world all together. Apart from 39 points of focus which means you get the bird the leave and the twig in focus as opposed to a lottery when using AF, I find with the second card slot I can have both Raw and JPG formats which makes it much more versatile and of better quality when selecting photos for printing or cropping. If you can afford I would go for new because you never know how heavily used the camera is , only its age, when buying second hand and might need a new shutter etc far quicker than you would want.

Its a decent upgrade. Your pics will "pop", but you will also have to be that little more carefull as the extra pixels tend to show your weaknesses. I upgraded my D90 to D7000 and I think the D90 is far more forgiving.

Go for it, you wont be sorry.

Regards

I did,bought one this afternoon.
Took it to Abberton res in Essex straight away to test it out.
It was poor light mostly and i still have to get used to all the different/extra settings from the D80 But have been reading through the manual and think i have just about suused everything......or i hope so.
the shots i got were poor today but i didn't really expect anything less in terrible light and i am still learning settings etc.

I did,bought one this afternoon.
Took it to Abberton res in Essex straight away to test it out.
It was poor light mostly and i still have to get used to all the different/extra settings from the D80 But have been reading through the manual and think i have just about suused everything......or i hope so.
the shots i got were poor today but i didn't really expect anything less in terrible light and i am still learning settings etc.

Look forward to seeing some results!!
Mark

Once i can work the settings,am a novice to photography and have only really just worked out the D80 settings lol
Probably rushing into things but couldnt help myself

Once i can work the settings,am a novice to photography and have only really just worked out the D80 settings lol
Probably rushing into things but couldnt help myself

Tips:
1. Use Auto ISO, great feature, I normally set to 1/1000sec, ISO 800, and 1 stop smaller than largest aperture of your lens, although your sigma already is tight at the long end, so I will just leave it a f6.3
2. Get a Tripod with gimbal, best VR on the planet.
3. Shoot in aperture priority only

Good luck.

Regards

Leon

personally if using that sigma lens on it i would do some focus tests on a static object ,i have not yet found a sigma lens that does not back or forward focus somewhat ,the d7000 will show this up .
fortunately the d7000 has micro adjust built in so you can correct it if needed .
i can also thoroughly recommend the d7000 digital field guide by j.dennis thomas ,as it will explain the settings far better for you .

You wont regret getting the D7K - after getting used to the more advanced, less forgiving focus system (compared to my old D90) - your images wont fail to please. Plus the D7K has some good pro fuctions as well, such as Mirror up, Quiet release mode, AF fine tune.

Use mine with a 300mm 2.8 VR + TC20EIII - quality is still soooo good.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back