• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie looking for tips! (1 Viewer)

Safroniabee

I am new to bird watching and LOVING it! We hung feeders a couple years ago, but this is the first year I'm really diving in and it's so wonderful. I have some questions if anyone would be willing to help this newbie.

We live in a recently developed suburb. We don't have a ton of wildlife around here because everything is so new and the trees/shrubs/etc are still growing. I've been using the typical "wild bird mix" seed in my feeders, which I now realize isn't the best, so once it's gone I plan to try some new varieties and hopefully attract some new birds. Currently, house finches dominate our feeder. They're cute and fun, so I have no issue with them, but I would love to find out how to attract some other types of birds too. A pair of doves and a pair of chipping sparrows also show up daily, but the only other visitors have been fleeting.

So far, the only other visitors have been 2 goldfinches who appeared one time each and never returned, a brown headed cowbird, a couple of cardinals who visit but don't really eat much, and a red winged blackbird who makes lots of funny noises. We recently had a pair of bluebirds show up in our nestbox, which was SUCH a treat, so I put out some mealworms for them. Unfortunately, they never seemed to find them, but this morning I found a family of grackles swarming the mealworms and also the suet cage and ate it all before the day was over.

I've been reading that I need a cage feeder or the kind where they have to hang upside down to ward off the grackles. Any other tips for that?

And my primary question - Any tips for attracting some new types of birds, and for keeping the interest of the fleeting visitors? I was SO excited to see the beautiful goldfinches, but then they disappeared and haven't come back. I guess they weren't too interested in the seed I had out there.

I have planted a variety of native trees and berry bushes, and the cardinals and robins do love the raspberries. But it takes time for them to mature so it's kind of a hurry up and wait sort of process. We also have a birdbath.

Thanks for any help!

Welcome!

I find peanuts are very popular. You could also put out apples or grapes.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back