• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallow Chicks are getting too big for nest (1 Viewer)

CaitD

I have a swallow family nesting on my front porch on top of the one window's shutter. The nest hatched over 2 weeks ago. Five chicks were born but two fell out of their nest at only two days old and did not make it. The other three are now sooooo big now but not flying yet. They can barely fit in there together and the nest is bursting at the seams (I hope it holds).

My family has fallen in love with the swallow family. We can watch them whenever we want from the front window. If we go out on the porch (which we rarely use) the swallow parents circle the yard calling until we leave. Then quickly check on the chicks once we go inside.

I'd like to provide the family a larger nest. Has anyone had any success with the nest cups they sell online? Or is there anything else I can do to help them out. I'd love for them to come back year after year.

Welcome!

It is unlikely that the family would move into a different nest if you were to buy one. It may seem that they need helping out, but the parents will know what they are doing.

Hope you continue to enjoy them from a distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back