• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBW Illustrated Checklist (1 Viewer)

Still waiting on mine too. Money taken from my account on 2nd December and no sign of the book yet.... Will contact Lynx if I've not received it/had notification about it, by 1st February.

Still waiting on mine too. Money taken from my account on 2nd December and no sign of the book yet.... Will contact Lynx if I've not received it/had notification about it, by 1st February.

Money was taken from my account on 23 January. If I have to wait as long as for HMW 6 it might last about 23 days. That means I expect my copy in mid February. If I have luck It might come earlier.

Last edited:
My copy was waiting for me last Monday as I returned from Uganda. So I was able to immediately check a few things about species we saw. So now there are no excuses any more to find out what my true life list is like. :eat:

Swissboy;3517782. So now there are no excuses any more to find out what my true life list is like. :eat:[/QUOTE said:
Are people actually using HBW taxonomy for their lifelist?

A

Last edited:
Are people actually using HBW taxonomy for their lifelist?

A

I will simply use the two volumes as the most convenient way now. I'm definitely not going to any efforts to change anything about it. And since my life list has not been started anywhere so far, the only problems will come when transferring data from my travel lists or FGs I used to mark the species. It's only a ball park figure I'm interested in anyway. But at this point I have no idea whether I am in the "3000" or "4000" range or possibly lower. The only relative certainty is that I think I'm considerably over 2000.

As a side note, I just realized that I got this second volume at a real bargain price. Lynx only charged me 145 € because I had ordered very early. :t:

Last edited:
I'm still waiting ordered through Birdwatch magazine won't be doing that again as communications with the subscriber (first point of contact) as been shall we say nothing at all from them unless I phone them, they won't answer e-mails.

Got mine from NHBS on Monday; and yes, I am using HBW taxonomy for my list, just because I like the advantage of having an illustration there. I don't necessarily believe it, however - two Hylocitreas anyone?

Does any of the listing software offer the HBW list as an option?

Scythebill which I use, only offers IOC and Clements which is fine by me, yet another taxonomic, listing option is uneeded in my view.

A

Got mine today too, despite not actually receiving the usual (and expected) text notification that the parcel had been delivered to my nearby chosen collection point. Saw that it had been delivered on the website tracking from my email from Lynx and went and collected it, 7 hours after it was delivered. Still waiting on that text message from DPD......

My copy arrived today. From the first browsing I must say there are many new German vernacular names. But I wonder on the Madanga ruficollis. Though it is now a pipit it is still treated as a white-eye in German. Several extinct birds have now other German vernacular names than previously. The book in general is top notch and very helpful for my Wikipedia work.

I wonder who is actually determining these names? Is it DOG (Deutsche Ornithologen Gesellschaft), or some other group?

It's happening in English too, you're not alone!

Look at the new Indonesian guide, in terms of the names, it's like being a total beginner again.

A

Do Lynx charge postage?

I'm trying to convince myself that I need these books but can't, between the name changes and taxonomy I struggle to justify the outlay, this is the last volume right?

Someone tell me why I need them!

A

Last edited:
Book as finally arrived, got it around 11.45am today also would like to thank Birdwatch magazine for a compensation book (Tim Birkheads - The Most Perfect Thing, Inside and Outside a birds egg)

Do Lynx charge postage?

I'm trying to convince myself that I need these books but can't, between the name changes and taxonomy I struggle to justify the outlay, this is the last volume right?

Someone tell me why I need them!

A

No postage for these volumes and yes this is the last volume (at least as far we now :p),

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back