• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else noticed less House Sparrows fledged this year? (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
I know they don't do well in some areas, but they've always done well here in my part of London. Actually, I can't back that up with any data, so I'll limit it to my garden over the last 10 years. I usually see parents with 2 - 4 fledglings in my garden at this time of year, and I count between 30 and 60+ Sparrows in my trees and being fed in the garden each day. This year I've seen one female with a fledgling and one male with a fledgling - not even together, so could well be the same fledgling.

Starlings, OTOH, are doing as well as they usually do... I've at least 50 juveniles screeching for food in my trees (yep, my neighbours love me ;) ), and there's more still on the roofs and in other trees within earshot. Also, they usually have more than one brood, so there's time for even more Starlings to show up in the not-too-distant future. That suggests to me that there's been plenty of Insects to feed to the young.

One row of three houses did have new roofs and loft extensions, but the work was completed before breeding started, and I'm not even sure the Sparrows nested under the eaves there. I can see no other obvious changes locally - none of the bushes that the Sparrows hide in have been cut down, and there's less Sparrowhawk activity than usual (For those that are interested, Fred, the regular male has been missing for longer than usual, and was in his 7th year, so might be dead. Although I'd expect another male to take over his territory soon).

The only upside is I have Goldfinches at the Sunflower Hearts due to the reduced number of Sparrows scaring them away... but I'd rather see the Sparrows doing well.

So, just a local phenomenon, or are some of you seeing less House Sparrows fledged?

I know they don't do well in some areas, but they've always done well here in my part of London. Actually, I can't back that up with any data, so I'll limit it to my garden over the last 10 years. I usually see parents with 2 - 4 fledglings in my garden at this time of year, and I count between 30 and 60+ Sparrows in my trees and being fed in the garden each day. This year I've seen one female with a fledgling and one male with a fledgling - not even together, so could well be the same fledgling.

Starlings, OTOH, are doing as well as they usually do... I've at least 50 juveniles screeching for food in my trees (yep, my neighbours love me ;) ), and there's more still on the roofs and in other trees within earshot. Also, they usually have more than one brood, so there's time for even more Starlings to show up in the not-too-distant future. That suggests to me that there's been plenty of Insects to feed to the young.

One row of three houses did have new roofs and loft extensions, but the work was completed before breeding started, and I'm not even sure the Sparrows nested under the eaves there. I can see no other obvious changes locally - none of the bushes that the Sparrows hide in have been cut down, and there's less Sparrowhawk activity than usual (For those that are interested, Fred, the regular male has been missing for longer than usual, and was in his 7th year, so might be dead. Although I'd expect another male to take over his territory soon).

The only upside is I have Goldfinches at the Sunflower Hearts due to the reduced number of Sparrows scaring them away... but I'd rather see the Sparrows doing well.

So, just a local phenomenon, or are some of you seeing less House Sparrows fledged?
Haven't seen any yet, Chris. During the cold and very dry spell, the adults were searching the roses for aphids to feed the chicks, as they usually do, but weren't finding many. Maybe a poor year for them, as I reckon it is with great/blue tits also.

Haven't seen any yet, Chris. During the cold and very dry spell, the adults were searching the roses for aphids to feed the chicks, as they usually do, but weren't finding many. Maybe a poor year for them, as I reckon it is with great/blue tits also.

Thanks for replying, Mary. That doesn't sound too promising - I was hoping it was just restricted to my garden area. Oh well, there's still a chance they might be more successful with second broods I guess... fingers crossed.

The house sparrows in my garden have done really well this year,i have seen two broods at my bird feeder with 4 and 5 young.The funny thing is they are actually nesting in my conifer hedge and have been doing this for a number of years.

Most of my nestboxes were occupied by house sparrows and at least two broods have been produced in each. A good year for them, although they spend their time emptying my feeders there are a lot of insects around this year so they should do OK.

And my nestbox output of great and blue tits were record levels - 3 boxes fledged 10 young each, with an overall average of just over 6 from 12 boxes.
The woods are currently buzzing with huge mixed flocks of tits and warblers. I gave up after counting 60 birds in one flock.

House sparrow output harder to judge as the young disappear into the farmland on fledging, but at least 5 active nests around the house, up 1 on last 5 years.

Tawny owls fledged a record 4 young - never more than 2 in previous decade, so must be a good vole year here as well.

Never seen so many butterflies.

So I think it's best to wait for the broader surveys like the BTO Garden birdwatch data (and sign up to it if you don't already!)

Last edited:
There have been lots of healthy house sparrows in my south London garden this year, often accumulating in large flocks of 20+, feeding on suet cakes and sunflower kernels mainly.

According to past BTO garden-use surveys, house sparrows should continue to increase in numbers in London gardens until a peak in August.

I was about to post asking if this is a good year for house sparrows, I have lived here for twenty years and this is the first year since we have been here that I have seen house sparrows in any numbers.Very rarely saw a sparrow in my garden but have seen lots of fledged youngsters and they are still producing broods under the eaves of our cottage, and that's a first too, then a friend from the other end of the village remarked on the amount of sparrows in her garden. Just wondering if this is just a localised trend or maybe life is looking up for the humble sparrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back