• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it Lanius excubitor homeyeri or not? (Poland) (1 Viewer)

monter_lk

I took few pictures of Great Grey Shrike (Lanius excubitor) in north-east Poland in June'09.
It have tail patern of eastern subspecies of GGS - homeyeri. Another features indicate on homeyeri are:
- a lot of white on primaries and secondaries with white tips on it
Problem is:
-lack of white uppertail coverts/rump (they are only slighty paler then back)
-lack white panels on scapulars
-and head patern (with indistinct supercilium).

This bird is probably breeding there. My questions are:
- is it Lanius excubitor homeyeri or not?
- does the lack white parts on upperparts could depend on worn of that feathers? (complet post-breeding molt start in July)
- is it adult?
I would be most grateful for help.
Lukas Krajewski, Poland

Attachments

• hom1.jpg
    hom1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 167
  • hom2.jpg
    hom2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 138
  • hom3.jpg
    hom3.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 172
After reading Svensson passerines, the characters shown by this bird are commoner on the eastern part of the ssp excubitor range, these birds looking quite similar to homeyeri, with some intergradation.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back