• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gigrin Farm Red Kites (1 Viewer)

We were at Gigrin a few years ago - and it is truly amazing! We stayed in a hotel nearby, and I could lie in bed drinking my morning tea - and watching the red kites!

I visited the farm early last year as direct result of a recommendation here by Nigel Blake. It's certainly an incredible place and well worth another mention.

Dave

I go there once or twice every year. It is a fantastic place to go and watch Kites close up but also you gt to see Raven and Buzzard right in your face as well. Excellent photo opportunities for any of those species.

I am planning to go in March this year and as there is no need to get there until 14:00, when they feed them, I can visit one or two sites on the way. It makes for a good day out.

Reader said:
I go there once or twice every year. It is a fantastic place to go and watch Kites close up but also you gt to see Raven and Buzzard right in your face as well. Excellent photo opportunities for any of those species.

I am planning to go in March this year and as there is no need to get there until 14:00, when they feed them, I can visit one or two sites on the way. It makes for a good day out.

Lucky you to be able to make it a day trip - but it's a good place to stay too. When we were there we visited the Elan visitor centre, found there was a free "mini safari" with a ranger in the surrounding area a couple of days later so we extended our stay then we could take this in too.

I stopped there for a couple of days last summer in my camper, I'd visited the previous year and couldn't resist going back for some better Kite photos.
I got chatting to the farmer (very nice chap) who mentioned that there was a Badger set and he takes people there in the evening. Seeing 5 wild Badgers at one time was fantastic. There is a rather nice 'nature trail' as well.
I highly recommend a visit.

Dylan

My wife and I had a week staying in the Elan Valley in late April last year, we visited Gigrin farm twice, it's a brilliant place and well worth a visit. As well as the Kites,Buzzards etc. the Redstarts and Pied Flycatchers had just returned from migration. I took over 200 pics but unfortunately all the digi-scoped ones came out blurred as I was using a new lens which wasn't compatible with the camera. even though they were blurred I couldn't bring myself to delete them and still have them. I wanted to return there again at the same time this April but unfortunately I have other commitments.

we went there last sunday - there were about 100 red kites, including an albino. also plenty of buzzards, ravens etc...excellent place

nickd said:
we went there last sunday - there were about 100 red kites, including an albino. also plenty of buzzards, ravens etc...excellent place

Hi Nick - just noticed this is your first post, so welcome to the forum. Yes, Gigrin is amazing - must try to get back there soon.

nickd said:

There's a stunning photo of the leucistic bird on surfbirds.

Mark

Andrew Diment said:
I have just stumbled across this fantastic Red Kite website. I don't know if it's had a mention before but even if it has I think it's worthy of another posting.

http://www.gigrin.co.uk/index.html

Also worth checking out the Welsh Kite Trust, which you can access from the Gigrin Farm Web Site. They publish an excellent news letter and you can learn a lot about the history of the Red Kite's success in Wales.

(Mind you, I saw 7 on the M40 last week!)

I'm lucky, I see one or two virtually everyday, sometimes circling over my garden, but certainly within a couple of miles in any direction, its very unusual not to spot one. With the very blue sky and sunshine we have had until today too, it's a wonderful sight seeing them soaring only a few feet above, the red feathers really look fantastic. I haven't been to Gigrin, although it's not too far from me, but there is another nice little place where you can see videos and buy souvenirs at Tregaron, I went there last year when my friend's aunt was visiting from London. Its funny, when you live in a place you don't tend to do the touristy things, its only when you have visitors!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back