• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying cameras from abroad (1 Viewer)

digi-birder

Having recently been trying to decide whether to change my camera or not, I have been looking at prices of various models and came across an American website that has some really good prices.

I checked the customs and excise website and it seems that there is no custom duty payable on digital cameras. Even taking into account paying VAT (if the parcel gets checked, that is) it still works out cheaper than buying one here.

Has anyone had any experience of purchasing a digicam from abroad?

I know about the situation with the Coolpix's different coloured flashes depending where it's purchased, and that Nikon UK would probably not want to service an imported camera. Can you tell the source of any brand of camera? The one I'm eyeing up looks exactly the same as on the UK sites.

Of course this could all be academic if I have, as it appears at last, got the hang of the 995!

I would be careful as there are some really dodgy American sites that will try and do you over good and proper. I have the impression that American consumer protection law is rather weak in comparison with ours.

This site has a page with customer feedback for a huge number of photo stores:

Photo Net

Note that of you buy in the States, you will have to pay import duty, shipping and VAT. The tax demand will come in the form of a letter after you receive the goods.

I bought my Fuji Finepix in Singapore was about £200-00 cheaper than Dixons at the time of purchase. But as with everything the prices in this country do come down, I haven't as yet come across any problems with the camera. I brought the camera in through Customs myself and bypassed the scrutiny of actually shipping it in from America with all the Customs Declaration forms, which almost infer you are going to get charged.

Gosh, this has come out of the archives!

I did a lot of research before deciding not to bother buying from the USA. There would, in fact, only have been VAT to pay, as digital cameras are duty free, but the shipping charges put it almost up to the UK prices. With this in mind, I didn't want to risk the camera going wrong and having a lot of expense shipping it all the way back.

In the end I found the best UK price at Amazon and went to Jessops, who price-matched it saving me £130.

I went for the Canon G3 and an excellent camera it is too.

I would not purchase any equipment from abroad if was readily available in the UK.

Whats wrong with buying from your home base?????

Most decent retailers will price match..

paulsnokia said:
IWhats wrong with buying from your home base?????

Because sometimes the prices are way above what you can buy them for overseas, due to the UK being ripped off for most consumer goods.

Case in point - my EagleEye 5x OpticZoom. Check out EagleEye's own prices, remembering to add VAT to their website prices, and then look at Photosolve.com - even with postage it cost less than having it delivered from the UK.

perhapse I should check out the states for my weekly shop3:)

Tesco's will be pleased when i stroll in and ask them to price match walmart in the states;)

Whats wrong with a good haggle :t:

I bought my Fuji s602Z from a company called DigiFocus in Singapore, e-mail: [email protected] - I think there might also be a website. As far as I can remember I might have got the details from a recommendation on Birdforum. Anyway it was a lot cheaper than I could get it in the UK and it has been absolutely fine. The guy who runs the business mailed me several times to see if everything was OK. However I don't know what I'd do if anything went wrong with the camera, but (touch wood) I don't expect it to.

Alan Hill

5 years ago I bought some items from B&H Photovideo in the States at prices much lower than the UK. For example I bought 200mm macro lens for £500 + £100 shipping, import duty and tax. In the UK second hand examples were going for ~£800.

That was a few years ago and now the exchange rate is nothing like so favourable so it is probably not worth it.

In fact the exchange rate is currently about the same level as 5 years ago,but during those 5 years has fluctuated significantly.

Alan with regard to your camera buying from abroad,do the customs and excise not tax you,i have bought from the states for jazz cds etc and have been stung by the customs.

John

Diane I am afraid my mouth was in gear before my brain,after i had posted my message I read your intial posting on customs duty.

john

Here is an online shop in Auckland NZ to compare prices, i buy all my gear from here. I bought my Oly 750 for $849 NZ when they were retailing for $1299 in most other outlets. They are a wholesale outlet. address is ( etown.co.nz ) . Convert prices back to British pound, be hard to beat...Roy.

Alan, I have news for you. I have been looking for a S5000 from the states for a while now- before I started I asked Fuji in the UK where I stand with the warranty should anything happen to a camera I bought from overseas. I got a reply stating very clearly that ALL fuji cameras are covered by a World-wide warranty- all you need is your original reciept and the warranty card that is in the box. (I'm still trying to find a shop in the US that will ship it to the UK by internet order, but I'll get there)
Sorry for just jumping in, but I found this thread through Google, and thought you'd like to know.

ChrisK said:
Alan, I have news for you. I have been looking for a S5000 from the states for a while now- before I started I asked Fuji in the UK where I stand with the warranty should anything happen to a camera I bought from overseas. I got a reply stating very clearly that ALL fuji cameras are covered by a World-wide warranty- all you need is your original reciept and the warranty card that is in the box. (I'm still trying to find a shop in the US that will ship it to the UK by internet order, but I'll get there)
Sorry for just jumping in, but I found this thread through Google, and thought you'd like to know.

Is this advertising? B&H Photovideo ship worldwide.

Having bought cameras, lenses and microphones from them in the past, both over the 'net and in person (the shop has to be seen to be believed) I can heartily recommend them.
Customer service is second to none and all the staff I spoke to were extremely knowledgable.

When I visited they had customers who'd flown in from Japan to pick up goods - the prices even when including the cost of the flights made it worthwhile.

Last edited:
ChrisK said:
If youre talking about my post- no its not advertising.
Just thought I'd share the info
I think Esmondb was asking whether his posting of a link to B&H Photovideo constituted advertising(which it did not)
If you put the mouse pointer on B&H,you get a direct link to their website.

And welcome to Bird Forum,we look forward to your further contributions;most people are,like Esmond,very helpful in providing information.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back