• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (12 Viewers)

Going back to yesterday's trip over to Blacktoft, I'm glad to see that the RSPB have money to waste. For some reason they've put a gate at the end of the dirt path to Ousefleet hide, if some one has trespassed so far into the reserve a gate there is NOT going to stop them accessing the hide. They've also put gate where the path to Ousefleet hide goes through the hedge line close to Marshland hide and across the main entrance to the reserve just by the feeding station. Again what was the point?

Marsh Sandpiper

I noticed today people walking straight to Ousefleet Hide via the path opposite the bird feeders on the approach to the reserve shop again as you said without paying also today there was no box either on the approach to Ousefleet hide, as for the Marsh Sandpiper the bird showed well all day on Ousefleet until mid afternoon when it became flighty switching between the Marshland hide and Ousefleet hide. Also great views today of Water Rail up too 6 Green Sandpipers, Spoonbill, Marsh Harrier, Common Sandpiper, Spotted Redshank and Snipe

Not birds but amazing views of Water Vole again in the village. They really are exceptional here at the footbridge with very close views.

Growing up!

Found this sprawk nest today, look at difference between youngsters!.Tawnys still brilliant, Barn Owls tonight for some reason reluctant to fly, maybe because 1 juv was out of box!!

Paul

Attachments

• sprawk4.jpg
    sprawk4.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 66
  • sprawk5.jpg
    sprawk5.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 81
  • tawnyowl15.jpg
    tawnyowl15.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 76
Raptors incubate from the first egg rather than incubating when a clutch are laid so there is always a difference in size between siblings. I'm sure I read somewhere that the younger siblings are insurance in a bad year, ie food for the oldest chick if natural resources are poor.

Going back to yesterday's trip over to Blacktoft, I'm glad to see that the RSPB have money to waste. For some reason they've put a gate at the end of the dirt path to Ousefleet hide, if some one has trespassed so far into the reserve a gate there is NOT going to stop them accessing the hide. They've also put gate where the path to Ousefleet hide goes through the hedge line close to Marshland hide and across the main entrance to the reserve just by the feeding station. Again what was the point?

I did ask about the new gates last week. There have been several recent cases of local 'youths' driving on to the reserve in the evenings & taking potshots at the visitor centre & hides with air rifles. There's also the possibility they may ram stolen cars into the visitor centre/& or hides. It's just an attempt to minimize this form of disturbance. I'm sure they'd rather not have spent their/your money on this, but they didn't have much option the way a minority of teenagers are behaving these days.....

I did ask about the new gates last week. There have been several recent cases of local 'youths' driving on to the reserve in the evenings & taking potshots at the visitor centre & hides with air rifles. There's also the possibility they may ram stolen cars into the visitor centre/& or hides. It's just an attempt to minimize this form of disturbance. I'm sure they'd rather not have spent their/your money on this, but they didn't have much option the way a minority of teenagers are behaving these days.....

Thanks for the info Mike... but if the gate at the road doesn't stop them I can't see how another one will.

Does anyone else read this and find it incredibly depressing. Not only for the disgraceful behaviour but that one no longer feels that it's possible to broadcast on a public platform what needs to be done about it.

Trystan I do find it depressing because I know what's needed, it's just that I'd be the one going to jail if my thoughts were put into action.
Never before has modified eugenics looked so like the right thing to do.

I agree with you Keith, it,s about time we sorted this sort of thing out, we are to dam soft in this country, no wonder its in a state. Look at what these type did to weldrake, all the work that people had put into these places, it's about time we got them sorted. MC

Sorry to be a soft touch guardianista but I think that its attitudes like this that drive people away from appreciation of conservation. It is unlikely that those from a poor socio-economic background are going to appreciate birdwatching but education and openess help rather than the threat of violence or imprisonment (I'm talking petty crime not violent etc etc). Im not really sure its a new thing either as I remember hides being burnt down perennially all over the country. Safety & security measures seem like sensible precautions to prevent something like the recurring situation at Lin Dyke (which is next door to pit communities with high unemployment and low prospects). It is usually boredom and frustration that cause acts like this to be carried out. What needs to happen is a social empowerment structure (not nanny stating or handing out benefits). Easier said than done. I dont like nature reserves getting messed up as much as the next person but aside from revenge - what would violence solve/cause? I suggest it would lead to further recriminations and more burnt hides and reserves being used as scrambler tracks.

James

Sorry to be a soft touch guardianista but I think that its attitudes like this that drive people away from appreciation of conservation. It is unlikely that those from a poor socio-economic background are going to appreciate birdwatching but education and openess help rather than the threat of violence or imprisonment (I'm talking petty crime not violent etc etc). Im not really sure its a new thing either as I remember hides being burnt down perennially all over the country. Safety & security measures seem like sensible precautions to prevent something like the recurring situation at Lin Dyke (which is next door to pit communities with high unemployment and low prospects). It is usually boredom and frustration that cause acts like this to be carried out. What needs to happen is a social empowerment structure (not nanny stating or handing out benefits). Easier said than done. I dont like nature reserves getting messed up as much as the next person but aside from revenge - what would violence solve/cause? I suggest it would lead to further recriminations and more burnt hides and reserves being used as scrambler tracks.

James

Unfortunately I think James may be right,our first reaction to hang the little b******s from the nearest tree would probably incite their mates to come round causing more aggro.This has shown to be so in other cases but alas I have no idea how to stop this mindless behaviour,so will continue to rant and rave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back