• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (5 Viewers)

hello all

i'm slightly stumped for a painting right now: I've had a couple of Redshank moments over last week or so that deserve a whap at a canvas but just seem to have hung fire

meantimes a messy kwik-pic of a monster birding moment- set out on saturday morning for a concerted effort to find my local Hobbies

located a promising old stag-antlered oak with west view and lo and behold - male Hobby clambering parrot-fashion up a branch to boot off a crow

so we are in business I think- let's see what August brings

Now thats a bit special Ed. What a great little slice of observation;)

it's July

so for me that means waders, still colourful in strong light but slightly motley with wear and moult

bright green weed on the mudflats

Attachments

• q9 550 oyk btg DSC_3099 copy.jpg
    q9 550 oyk btg DSC_3099 copy.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 69
well- here I am home alone and having a bit of a Hobby fest- the female wing of my family has hooked off to France on hol. and son is at some rain-sodden rock festival

latest Hobby pic is of the male, who has been brushing insects out of poplar tops at 9:20 every evening this week, like the Swallow-tailed Kite / Nighthawk beast that he is

pic started off as the usual over-juiced effort, but looked poor, so I stopped halfway and -rather than binning it- painted something wet over the top instead

to complete the Hobby fest, am finally confronting the carving from waaaay back upthread: I'm absolutely determined that it will have proper rich dense chest streaks, not a few lines of sparse black arrows like a victorian criminal

Attachments

• q9 550 hobby oak  DSC_3103 copy.jpg
    q9 550 hobby oak DSC_3103 copy.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 62
  • q9 550 DSC_3107 copy.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_3107 copy.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 64
Crikey! I love your work like this! Dangerous risk taking brilliance! (Funny how Colleen and I have 2 different takes on this!;)) I can see it both ways. I guess the water festival over the colours has brought on an iconoclastic result...and that is very interesting...and beautiful.
Would like to see the carved Hobby upright. But maybe you both have been over indulging on a "Batchelor-Weekend???" B :):-O

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back