• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarchs Made in Japan (1 Viewer)

johnvp

I am interested in the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42 or 8.5x56, but I am wondering where they are made, Japan or China. For that matter I'd be interested in knowing where all their models are made.

I am going to hold off on Monarchs as I am looking for a Japanese binocular. I need something with a large exit pupil as my own pupils measure 8mm+ at night and I don't do too much astronomical viewing at all. I have heard that the 7x50 Sport and Marine are Japanese, but I am also wondering about the OceanPro 7x50. Does any one know the country of origin of these two Nikons. Unfortunately the HG are out of my price range.

The Ocean Pro models are made in China. They are very good.

(Sorry. I thought that my earlier post didn't get through. This is a self-correction.)

Last edited:
Johnvp,

I have to gratulate for having 8+ mm dark adapted eye pupil. I don't know your age, but this size of eye pupil normally is reserved for children.

About the issue of japanese vs. chinese binoculars I would like to say: the most of my binoculars are chinese made and are of a decent quality. I think the optical performance mainly depends of the prize you are prepared to accept. There is actually to a certain extent a lack of quality control of chinese optics, but there are more than a dozens of chinese manufacturers and I think you should try before buy.

I say this because I don't think it's a nature law that chinese made optics cannot be good. Some chinese optics are very good, though NOT YET in the same class as the best japanese, german and austrian. But we don't should underestimate the chinese production; within 5 years I guess they can be true competitors to the very best.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:
Swedpat said:
Johnvp,

I have to gratulate for having 8+ mm dark adapted eye pupil. I don't know your age, but this size of eye pupil normally is reserved for children.

About the issue of japanese vs. chinese binoculars I would like to say: the most of my binoculars are chinese made and are of a decent quality. I think the optical performance mainly depends of the prize you are prepared to accept. There is actually to a certain extent a lack of quality control of chinese optics, but there are more than a dozens of chinese manufacturers and I think you should try before buy.

I say this because I don't think it's a nature law that chinese made optics cannot be good. Some chinese optics are very good, though NOT YET in the same class as the best japanese, german and austrian. But we don't should underestimate the chinese production; within 5 years I guess they can be true competitors to the very best.

Regards, Patric

Some Chinese optics manufacturers are producing excellent products. GSO and Synta are two of the best Chinese manufacturers.

And who knows where all of the components that go into a binocular are made these days? A binocular may be assembled in Japan from mainly Chinese parts.

I own a Swift binocular -- the Swift Ultra-Lite roof prism 8x42. These are excellent binoculars made in China. If Swift has decided to have some of their top binoculars made in China, I think that speaks to Chinese quality -- especially if Swift ensures a high degree of quality control.

On the other hand, the quality and feel of the old Swift Ultra-Lite porros and Audubon porros will probably never be reproduced at that price range. These were Japanese-made binoculars of the highest quality.

BTW, the 8.5x56 configurations may have a larger exit pupil, but usually they have poor close focus and FOV. 8x42 and 8x32 are better performers for birdwatching.

Last edited:
Swedpat said:
trashbird,

I didn't know that even Swift has binoculars produced in China. You confirm what I said.

Patric

Yes, I can double confirm that. Got it straight from the company last month. I thought there was a law in the US that required the country of origin to be shown on the product. Apparently that has changed or is no longer enforced. Too bad.

Ed

elkcub said:
Yes, I can double confirm that. Got it straight from the company last month. I thought there was a law in the US that required the country of origin to be shown on the product. Apparently that has changed or is no longer enforced. Too bad.

Ed

My UK sourced Swift HHS 828 8.5 x 44 roofs are clearly marked 'made in Japan'

elkcub said:

Ed

My Swift Ultra-Lite says clearly on both the box and the binocular that it is made in China.

Chris Oates said:
My UK sourced Swift HHS 828 8.5 x 44 roofs are clearly marked 'made in Japan'

Chris,

My US sourced one does too. I mis-spoke. The world is a better place than I thought ;)

ED

Last edited:
johnvp said:
I am going to hold off on Monarchs as I am looking for a Japanese binocular. I need something with a large exit pupil as my own pupils measure 8mm+ at night and I don't do too much astronomical viewing at all. I have heard that the 7x50 Sport and Marine are Japanese, but I am also wondering about the OceanPro 7x50. Does any one know the country of origin of these two Nikons. Unfortunately the HG are out of my price range.

I have the Nikon ED50 scope. Its made in China and is fantastic!

johnvp said:

You might want to take a look @ the Minox BD 8x42 BL. It is in the same price range as the Nikon Monarch, however, it is a brighter, sharper unit.

I spoke with Nikon yesterday and the new Nikon Monarch 36 series will ship in early May and the 56 series will ship the end of June.

Tero said:
Monarchs are made in China, and Actions. Someone with high end Nikons can check those.
Hi,My brother has 8x42 Monarch Camo version from Cabala's and it has Japan on it.A friend I work with has 10x42 Monarch non camo and it has China writing on it.BTW the 8x42 Monarch was much nicer.
Steve

I will research the Minox BD 8x42 BL, and the Swift HH 828 8.5x44. I emailed Adorama the other day and asked about Japan and China made Nikons and they replied that at the present time they only had Chinese, as if to infer possibly, that they are made in both places, but at present only Chinese were to be had. (I asked about Monarchs, and the 3 models of 7x50's

johnvp said:
I will research the Minox BD 8x42 BL, and the Swift HH 828 8.5x44. I emailed Adorama the other day and asked about Japan and China made Nikons and they replied that at the present time they only had Chinese, as if to infer possibly, that they are made in both places, but at present only Chinese were to be had. (I asked about Monarchs, and the 3 models of 7x50's

As a general rule, the Nikons in the below $300.00 price range are made in China.
I think if you do a side by side with the Nikon Monarch ATB and the Minox BL you will be owning the Minox.
Please let me know your thoughts

Last edited:
gr8fuldoug said:
As a general rule, the Nikons in the below $300.00 price range are made in China.
I think if you do a side by side with the Nikon Monarch ATB and the Minox BL you will be owning the Minox.
Please let me know your thoughts
I am skeptical about the Minox and this is why. How can the Minox be as good, made in Germany, where people are paid more than the US, and the Nikons, made in China, where people are paid a fraction of what people in the US or Germany make. So, either Nikon makes a whole lot more money on their binoculars, or Minox is skimping somewhere. This is only a comparison of Nikon Monarchs to the MinoxBD8x42BL, which are equally priced. I can't find anyone raving about this Minox binocular, but I sure can with the Nikon Monarch.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back