• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curlew sp. at Minsmere (11 Viewers)

Hiya

nice article in Birding World today from Richard Porter detailing three of the SBC's he's found. Although from a long time back there are photographs of one bird showing the typically upright stance and distinctive structure, and very fine black bill and black legs. Excellent text too.

atb
Tim

Just in case anyone was still ondering - the following has just been posted on Birdguides...

"the controversial bird from autumn 2004 has been confirmed as a Eurasian Curlew by DNA analysis "

postcardcv said:
Just in case anyone was still ondering - the following has just been posted on Birdguides...

"the controversial bird from autumn 2004 has been confirmed as a Eurasian Curlew by DNA analysis "

Before any "I told you so's" are posted, I just had a quick scan through the Thread and it was in my opinion one of the most interesting on BF.

Grousemore said:
Before any "I told you so's" are posted, I just had a quick scan through the Thread and it was in my opinion one of the most interesting on BF.

I agree. It's nice to know that mine, and many other birders, opinion has been justified.

I told you so

wasn't interesting after a two sec look in the field - i put my neck on the block in fornt of a couple of hundred shouting me down... i was the only one tasking notes on it though.....

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
I told you so

wasn't interesting after a two sec look in the field - i put my neck on the block in fornt of a couple of hundred shouting me down... i was the only one tasking notes on it though.....

Tim

I also took loads of notes and watched it for over six hours on 2 seperate visits. However I think that says more about me than it does about note taking and extensive observation!

Yep, I'll admit it, I ballsed that one up good and proper! :eek!: ;) B :)

and what were we saying about the benefits of multi-observer records!

I have dim memories (its me age) that only the matriachal (sp) DNA was traceable so in addition to the multi-poop theory there is still the "its dad's a SBC" theory. Or is my memory failngme

Jane Turner said:
I have dim memories (its me age) that only the matriachal (sp) DNA was traceable so in addition to the multi-poop theory there is still the "its dad's a SBC" theory. Or is my memory failngme

Careful - if you open that can much more, the worms will be everywhere again...

Jane Turner said:
and what were we saying about the benefits of multi-observer records!

Jane,
Mitochondrial DNA is passed on maternally, but we don't know (yet) what molecular analysis was carried out. However, only two Eurasian Curlew sequences are available at the NCBI website (a source of publicly available sequences) and both of these are genes from the mitochondrial genome. We also don't know if it was sequencing or some other type of work (mini/micro sattelites, RFLP, etc) that was carried out.
It would be interesting to hear from someone who knew something about what work was done on the samples.

Bird Hard!

.............not a SBC, that can't be right.
I suspect a conspiracy-did they collect the right sample, the one from the grassy knoll? ;)

Thank the Good Lord I never bothered going for it, I perused the photos on the net and didn't think it looked anything like an SBC. Having dipped out on the Northumberland bird I was glad I didn't waste any more time and money. No doubt it will be added to the lists of the desperate!! However, I would be tempted to travel quite a distance for a REAL one!

I hear the international birding world is donating a consignment of lens wipes to the UK in anticipation of this year's Curlew breeding season ;) ;)

JP

Steve G said:
.............not a SBC, that can't be right.
I suspect a conspiracy-did they collect the right sample, the one from the grassy knoll? ;)

Rather ironic that crap actually proved the point in the end !!!!

JP

Last edited:
jpoyner said:
I hear the international birding world is donating a consignment of lens wipes to the UK in anticipation of this year's Curlew breeding season ;) ;)

JP
I imagine a fair number of nose wipes might be gratefully received too. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back