• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK - Help Please - Have you seen one of these ? (1 Viewer)

Thanks to the digital age birding is better than ever, the internet - thousands of pictures, debates, rare bird information, photo verification for posterity.

I couldn't disagree more, as for me birding is done in the field, not behind a PC. Standards of field birding seem to be worse, not better, than ever - and that should be where it counts...

I couldn't disagree more, as for me birding is done in the field, not behind a PC. Standards of field birding seem to be worse, not better, than ever - and that should be where it counts...

yes, and you should try going seawatching... amazing what gets seen when people hit the coast in the 'right' weather. Often not by those who are watching every day though! Plenty of Titchwell hat-tricks - Red-throated, Black-throated and Great Northern for the same bird etc... there's no substitute for getting out as often as possible... which is what i'm gonna do now for a couple of hours...

yes, and you should try going seawatching... amazing what gets seen when people hit the coast in the 'right' weather. Often not by those who are watching every day though!

Fully agree here Tim. But this kind of coincidence sometimes happens for real.
I felt a bit sad for seeing a Cory's this autumn in one hour of seawatching exactly for this reason.
I don't 'need' a bird like that: I want some Lesser Spotted Eagle or some Griffon Vulture. But exactly that is what those coastliners get and I am still with empty hands!!
Don't believe they watch raptors while seawatching.
Uhm, sometimes they do.

yes, and you should try going seawatching... amazing what gets seen when people hit the coast in the 'right' weather.
Hahaha, I recognise that from when I was younger... it's always better to rely on trained individuals when you go to sea for the first time. Views are usually bad enough to get your phantasy running.
Still I felt quite bad not to allow myself to ID the only skua I saw in Southend last week (well, it flew near Sheerness...)

Today I heard someone claiming multiple Cetti's Warblers while only Chaffinches (and a Dunnock) were in view. I decided not to care.

Tim Allwood; said:
yes, and you should try going seawatching... amazing what gets seen when people hit the coast in the 'right' weather. Often not by those who are watching every day though! Plenty of Titchwell hat-tricks - Red-throated, Black-throated and Great Northern for the same bird etc... there's no substitute for getting out as often as possible... which is what i'm gonna do now for a couple of hours...

I find Skuas are the best ones for this demonstration :)

I think its a sad indictment of the birding community when thread like this pops up. Im not a beginner birder im just really crap at it. So what? The supposed good humour in these posts is so loaded with overtones and dismissive bile by a few experienced birders it highlights why this hobby is a solitary one mostly. Ive knocked about with a few great birders and a few crap ones and do you know i dont care which the birder is so long as heisnt a dickhead. Easy to Id? Go to the next thread- dont split the subforum to so that the vocal minority get to avoid silly IDs or repeats. Opinions are like ********s, everybodies got one. Doesnt make them right though. Good humour eh? Makes Bernard Manning look like a tolerant genius.

I think a lot of people will find that offensive...

My post is possibly a little over the top... First time id read through the thread and so many pompous posts and a few cans of 1664 and i posted that rubbish. Still stand by my sentiment.

Personally I agree with Hotspur. there's always people ready to make fun of others on here, just because you are behind a pseudonym and on the internet it doesnt mean that you can be rude to people. We all start as beginners, some of you guys need to take a look at the Ex Beeb forum, they do something called being nice.

Maybe the same people that seem not to have read field-guides ;)

Just curious. What guide book did you read when you to replied to magicmick’s post: ID’s needed…please? In that query, your smug reply to the first answer was:

Originally Posted by chrisjones
Long Tailed Duck & female Ruddy

(You said)

No and, er, no...

OK, can't see it as a LTD due to the flank and covert colour, and the second is certainly not a Ruddy...
Last edited by BobTag : Today at 23:10. Reason: Being nicer

I notice you edited your reply because you were 'being nicer'. Gads! Turns out chrisjones was right. Do yourself and everyone else a favor. Turn the “full of myself” valve to clockwise just a bit to release the pressure.

Suzanne

Last edited:
I think a lot of people will find that offensive...

Ok--while I was off line and responding to your last post you posted this. You find someone else's post offensive? 3:)3:) Ok, I get it, you are obviously having everyone on.

Last edited:
Suzanne - i like it. Im agreed, bad manners and an overblown self opinion combined with the hiding properties of a computer screen allow people to be really scathing without comeback. Bobtag - whilst you are evidently a very skilled birder your manner really could be a little less...offensive.

much regards James

a crap birder

Ok--while I was off line and responding to your last post you posted this. You find someone else's post offensive? 3:)3:) Ok, I get it, you are obviously having everyone on.

Hay, I didn't actually say I was offended did I?

However, maybe your not familiar with Bernard Manning's sexist, racist, homophobic "humour"?? Or do you find that sort of thing funny?

Last edited:
Just curious. What guide book did you read when you to replied to magicmick’s post: ID’s needed…please? In that query, your smug reply to the first answer was:

Originally Posted by chrisjones
Long Tailed Duck & female Ruddy

(You said)

No and, er, no...

OK, can't see it as a LTD due to the flank and covert colour, and the second is certainly not a Ruddy...
Last edited by BobTag : Today at 23:10. Reason: Being nicer

I notice you edited your reply because you were 'being nicer'. Gads! Turns out chrisjones was right. Do yourself and everyone else a favor. Turn the “full of myself” valve to clockwise just a bit to release the pressure.

Suzanne

Actually, you're wrong here.

chrisjones wasn't right, as the second bird is not a female Ruddy Duck (and, to be honest doesn't look like one), and I for one still don't believe the first is a pure Long-tailed Duck, and I know others agree. It would be great to have a bit more reasoned discussion on the latter bird, though, as it's like no LTD I've seen before.

I don't want to get into a slanging match, but please do check your facts before you wade in.

Bobtag - whilst you are evidently a very skilled birder your manner really could be a little less...offensive.

OK, wrists slapped.

Chants to himself - "I must not post when I'm tired and grumpy, I must not post when I'm tired and grumpy"...

Right, I'm getting off this thread before I get into trouble...

Cheers for the compliment though James ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back