• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

Please note that, due to urgent maintenance work, there will again be no access to the Flashes main hide this evening. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. The hide will be open as normal until 7:15pm. Thank you in advance for your co-operation.

Both phalaropes were still present when I left site at 10:40.

Phil

Was great to see the Red-necked Phalarope (lifer), plus the White Wagtail and waders, at the Flashes yesterday. To the above posts for 29th, I can only add that I saw 2 Peregrines on the masts, and a Skylark in song-flight briefly over First Flash.

Has the tail-less Common Tern (short-tailed now) been seen at Upton recently? In addition to Earlswood, I'm told it's also been seen at Bittell. I'd be interested to know if it's visited other sites too.

Matt

Was great to see the Red-necked Phalarope (lifer), plus the White Wagtail and waders, at the Flashes yesterday. To the above posts for 29th, I can only add that I saw 2 Peregrines on the masts, and a Skylark in song-flight briefly over First Flash.

Has the tail-less Common Tern (short-tailed now) been seen at Upton recently? In addition to Earlswood, I'm told it's also been seen at Bittell. I'd be interested to know if it's visited other sites too.

Matt

Hi Matt - dont think the no-tail-tern has been seen at Upton for over a week now; good to hear it is doing well. Perhaps in return you could send the Night Heron over here?

Skylarks have been quite visible at the Flashes the last few days with singing birds right over the hide. The vegetation mix and length in the transmitter field is looking really good at the minute; hope it isnt cut too soon.

Had another fantastic afternoon at Upton Warren yesterday. A big thanks to the UW volunteers and for giving us directions to the singing Lesser Whitethroat which we finally managed to locate (albeit briefly) - my friend no longer believes that it is a mythical bird.:-O.

Bring on a Wilsons Phalarope, so you can complete your set

Had another fantastic afternoon at Upton Warren yesterday. A big thanks to the UW volunteers and for giving us directions to the singing Lesser Whitethroat which we finally managed to locate (albeit briefly) - my friend no longer believes that it is a mythical bird.:-O.

Nice to see you all again for your annual jolly at Upton3:).
I hope you are forced to come back again for the next 'goody';)
B :)John

Might be worth listening to before you go down to Upton in the next few days...

http://www.xeno-canto.org/XCspeciesprofiles.php?species_nr2=3962.10

Over to Woodchat for some more details?

I will say it how it happened.
I was doing some work on the tool shed when a local birder (Kev and his Mom) came dashing up to me. Quite excitedly Kev announced that he had just had a singing 1st Summer Rosefinch in bushes around the car park. Stunned I phoned Dave (the only other Birder on site) who was wardening at the Flashes. He quickly arrived with a posse who had heard his excited announcement. We spread out all over the paths with a couple of the birders playing the song, after a good couple of hours it was a no show. There was no use in getting the news out as it would have been a waste of time and fruitless. There was enough people looking and listening and had it been relocated we would have organised a twitch.
Kev is an experienced birder and has seen the species before. He described the song before listening to the recording and described it as a young male that raised a slight crest when it sang. The bird was last seen along the causeway after which he came to get me. Over to you Kev for the description

Last edited:
I will say it how it happened.
I was doing some work on the tool shed when a local birder (Kev and his Mom) came dashing up to me. Quite excitedly Kev announced that he had just had a singing 1st Summer Rosefinch in bushes around the car park. Stunned I phoned Dave (the only other Birder on site) who was wardening at the Flashes. He quickly arrived with a posse who had heard his excited announcement. We spread out all over the paths with a couple of the birds song playing after a good couple of hours it was a no show. There was no use in getting the news out as it would have been a waste of time and fruitless. There was enough people looking and listening and had it been relocated we would have organised a twitch.
Kev is an experienced birder and has seen the species before. He described the song before listening to the recording and described it as a young male that raised a slight crest when it sang. The bird was last along the causeway after which he came to get me. Over to you Kev for the description

Amazing! Sounds like Des might be sliding closer to that prize money after all...

Could be a long wait before I see the money.........if ever!

Des.

I've got to say that the verbal description of the bird's appearance, sound and behaviour seemed very plausible for Common Rosefinch in my opinion. It's just a pitty it went to ground. They can be very elusive at times so could still be somewhere in the vicinity. Keep an eye out and, like Tim says, familiarise yourself with the song - you never know!

Fledged Willow Warbler Moors

Fantastic to see a newly-fledged juvenile Willow Warbler along the east track this afternoon being fed by its parents (photo below). This is the first confirmed breeding on site for some years and the first time I've personally seen a newly fledged juv Willow Warbler at UW for over 5 years. This success is all due to the instigation of rotational coppice carried out by the Tuesday work party crew. Thanks and well done guys, this is just reward for all your effort. :t:

Also fledged juv Reed Warbler seen on the north moors and several fledged juv Reed Buntings along the west track today. Long-tailed Tit juveniles seen yesterday.

Attachments

• Fledged Juvenile Willow Warbler Moors 300511.jpg
    Fledged Juvenile Willow Warbler Moors 300511.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 74
Other stuff 30/05/11

A Common Snipe showed well in the broadmeadow area this afternoon - a good bird at this time of year.

The Great-crested Grebe chicks (4) showed well in the south west of the moors.

Lesser Whitethroat, Garden Warbler again and Treecreeper on moors.

3 Dunlins on the flashes, 2 Ringed Plovers flew off. Peregrine flew directly over causing panick.

Well, with just one day of May remaining, I reckon we've had one of the best two-month spring periods ever. June can be good, too, producing a late goody if we're lucky. B :)

Wilsons Phalarope was present at UW in 2007, I have now seen all 3 Phalaropes, and I have seen them all at Upton Warren. How good is that!
Jackie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back