• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x40 Classics vs 10x42 Victory (1 Viewer)

Judy M

I have had a pair of 10x40 Classics since the early 1980's and am going to be replacing them soon. I have put off replacing them because I don't want to go through the process of learning to get quickly focused on a bird. Can anyone comment on the feel of the Classics vs the Victory 10 power and their focusing speed?

Simple. The Classics are solid and elegant. The Victories are plastic toys, albeit with optics that are perhaps as good as the Classics.

Keep the Classics, regardless of what you buy in addition to them.

Right on, Robert - the Classics are remarkable binoculars; not close focusers, not waterproof and no adjustable eyecups, but what brilliant images, especially for sports events (horse racing, football, etc.).

Judy,

Replace them if you want, but I would keep the 10x40 Classic as a reserve. It's an elegant instrument, and much smaller dimensionally than the 10x42 Victory FL. The build quality of the Classic is, to my mind, more solid than the composite chassis of the Victory. But the optics and weatherproofing of the Victory may trump the Classic. But the Victories are big, make no mistake about it. If I were you, I'd keep the Classics ready to go by the kitchen window and get the comparably sized, optically superior, Leica Ultravid BR. The pre-HD models are now going at greatly reduced prices in anticipation of their new HD models, due to arrive in about a month or so.

Cheers,

Robert / Seattle

Last edited:
I was considering the Leicas you mention but became reluctant when I read on Birdforum that many have had trouble with the smoothness of the focusing.

Before that I was considering Bushnell Elites 10x43 but I read that they are hard to fine tune the focusing.

I have some scratches on the lens of the Classics that become dirty enough to interfere with the image. I haven't been able to clean them well enough and twice have had to send them in for Zeiss to clean. I don't wear glasses but the eye cups tend to get out of shape over time so that they become difficult to take off for cleaning. One option is to replace the lens and the eye cups. I'd still have bins that aren't sealed though.

I was considering the Leicas you mention but became reluctant when I read on Birdforum that many have had trouble with the smoothness of the focusing.

Before that I was considering Bushnell Elites 10x43 but I read that they are hard to fine tune the focusing.

I have some scratches on the lens of the Classics that become dirty enough to interfere with the image. I haven't been able to clean them well enough and twice have had to send them in for Zeiss to clean. I don't wear glasses but the eye cups tend to get out of shape over time so that they become difficult to take off for cleaning. One option is to replace the lens and the eye cups. I'd still have bins that aren't sealed though.

Hi Judy,

All good points, and I didn't realize you had scratches on the lens. Moving on though: I've had no problems whatever with my Leica Ultravid focussing knobs. And just to be super safe, the new HD line (available in about a month) is tooting their perfected focussing mechanism along with improved dura-coatings and even brighter optics yet. You can see them here at:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/519033-USA/Leica_40294_10X42_Ultravid_HD_Binocular.html

Of course, you'll have to decide whether they're worth 500.00 more than the Zeiss Victory FL (if you have the money I personally think they are).

Either way, the entire Leica line can be accessed here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...0&shs=&at=Brand_Leica&fakeSubmitButton=Submit

Good luck,
Robert

Last edited:
Right on, Robert - the Classics are remarkable binoculars; not close focusers, not waterproof and no adjustable eyecups, but what brilliant images, especially for sports events (horse racing, football, etc.).

Good advice! I don't have Zeiss but I have an old Leitz 7 x 42 Trinovid BA from 1990. I'm keeping it even though I recently upgraded it to the new Leica 7 x 42 Trinovid BN. Those old "classics" are still well worth using!:king:
Cordially
Bob

Some of the old classics were optical stinkers. That would include ANY roof prism binocular from the early 1980's. I bought various Zeiss Dialyts and Leitz Trinovids in the 80's and found them all to have inferior sharpness and contrast compared to good inexpensive porros of the day. That was a mystery to me until the basic problem of destructive interference in the roof prism was solved by Zeiss "P" coating in the late 80's. Only then, when a marketing advantage could be realized by informing us of the solution, were we consumers allowed to know that roof prism binoculars had suffered from a serious inherent design flaw all along. Some of us could see it well enough, but I didn't know anyone at the time who could explain it.

IMO, a Dialyt from the early 80's has done its duty and no serious money should be spent to repair it. A carefull comparison with any modern high end binocular will reveal a very large difference in image quality.

Henry,
I largely agree with you, especially about spending money to repair them. I still have a couple of those "stinkers" from the 80's but I wouldn't put my Leitz in that category. Even without phase coating it was a real eye opener when I got it. I wouldn't pay to have it repaired though and I don't think Leica would have any parts left to repair it if it got damaged. But it is still a darn fine binocular and I enjoy using it in a variety of ways. In fact, its a nice sunny day; I'll take it out with me today!
Cordially,
Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back