• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Northern France (1 Viewer)

GMS

I will be going on a family holiday to Northern France in Chamouille shortly (approx 30 mins from Reims). Are there any good birding areas nearby ?
Any specialities that could be found there in early September ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Lac du Der-Chantecoq is one of the best birding sites in northern France - and it's not far from Reims. You might be a bit early for the Cranes but there can be up to 50,000 there in October. There are some other lakes nearby that would also be worth a visit.

Good luck

David

You can try the agricultural plain to the east. I don't know the area but it looks good. Marsh, Hen and Montagu's harrier should be there and pallid isn't impossible (none reported up to now in Belgium but there was mixed pair with montagu's near Chalons-En-Champagne). Dotterels are possible (record flock of 85 in Belgium three days ago). Tanwy pipit should not be too difficult to find, at least they're not in the eastern half of Belgium (and 36 in migration were counted in one morning a few day ago in Belgium) + all the other migrants.

Thanks all for the information.

I'm also looking for info about seawatching at le clipon. Is this accessible again ? The dam was closed a few years back. I noticed that le clipon and cap griz nez quite often seem to have fairly different totals. Which is the better seawatching place ?

Sadly the Clipon is closed for ever (but a few birders have an authorization to access). Cap Griz-Nez has often bigger numbers but The Clipon is usually better for the good birds and (very) close view...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back