• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x32 advice (1 Viewer)

Hi Vesp
Yes i probably do agree with most of that. It is splitting hairs at times. In my heart I would like to go for the HT but my head is telling me the 8x32SV is the better option. The view somehow just appears slightly more relaxing and unfussy.
I would also say the full field pro package on the SV is better than the HT, the end cap design and strap being very clever. Decisions decisions.......

Why not go for the Swaro 8.5x42? All the advantages of the SV 8x32 and less glare/flare. And when you need smaller and lighter bins you can always use your Nikon 8x32 SE.

If price is an issue you can go for a second hand SV. No risk with Swaro's warranty reputation.

Just a thought.

George

Hi George
But the disadvantages of the 8x42SV is weight, price and smaller field of view. The 8x42SV really doesn't offer me any benefit over the 8x32SV. I've not seen any glare or flare so not an issue. The 8x32SV under normal conditions is just a perfect binocular.

The HT's work because they are lighter, nicely designed, crystal clear and cheaper than both the SV's

The 8x42SV really doesn't offer me any benefit over the 8x32SV. I've not seen any glare or flare so not an issue. The 8x32SV under normal conditions is just a perfect binocular.

If you don't see any veiling glare and if the weight is important to you, the SV 8x32 may well be ideal.

The HT's work because they are lighter, nicely designed, crystal clear and cheaper than both the SV's.

I really like the HT, however, I'm after somewhat lighter binoculars nowadays. Carrying an 800 gr binocular around my neck all day isn't that much fun anymore.

By the way, I know the current Leica binoculars don't work for you, still, I think I'd look at whatever it is Leica will reveal next Monday.

Hermann

Hi Hermann

The HT's ironically don't feel that much heavier in the hand than the SV. I guess it's the balance that works when holding them. The silly objective caps on the HT are a bit annoying. I don't understand how zeiss couldn't come up with something better.

Hi Hermann

The HT's ironically don't feel that much heavier in the hand than the SV. I guess it's the balance that works when holding them. The silly objective caps on the HT are a bit annoying. I don't understand how zeiss couldn't come up with something better.

Sollas
I have been following your comments on this thread with interest because a few years ago I had exactly the same dilemma as you - HT 8x42 or SV 8x32. I went for the HT because of the wonderful view it gives and superb control of CA and flare. However, the weight and size of the HT started to become an issue when out for long periods.

Earlier this year, after telling myself I was being stupid (or was that the wife, I can't now remember), and one or two false starts, I bought an SV 8x32FP.

I have to say I am now very happy with my decision and in fact haven't taken the HT out since, although I will do in the future and probably over the dark winter days, once the novelty of the SV wears off.

I know the above won't be much help in your decision as I still think both bins are superb, but I do feel your pain!

Peter

Thanks for that Peter, very interesting. It does indeed seem a very similar conundrum.

When you eventually conceded defeat (;-)) what if anything did you miss about the HT (apart from the weight) and what did you feel was better about the SV8x32FP?. You now have the experience of hindsight which hopefully will help me out.

How do you feel now about the flat view on the SV as opposed to the more traditional view on the HT? Or does it not actually differ that much?

Thanks for that Peter, very interesting. It does indeed seem a very similar conundrum.

When you eventually conceded defeat (;-)) what if anything did you miss about the HT (apart from the weight) and what did you feel was better about the SV8x32FP?. You now have the experience of hindsight which hopefully will help me out.

How do you feel now about the flat view on the SV as opposed to the more traditional view on the HT? Or does it not actually differ that much?

Hi
The view through the HT is easier than on the SV, possibly because of the 42mm objective, and in some respects more pleasing and immersive, although this is hard to define. I miss that, but really, so far at least, that is all. The focus wheel on the HT is slightly smoother too but this is marginal compared to the new FP version of the SV.

The main advantage for me of the SV over the HT is the smaller size and weight. To my eyes, I see no 'rolling ball' and the flare control is excellent. I do not have large hands and the SV 32s fit my hands very nicely, so overall they are more comfortable to handle.

I must say the flat field on the SV is not that noticeable to me as I use my bins for birding and I don't look at birds in detail at the edge of the field. You can see the difference when you look for it but in practical use it is of no consequence to me personally.

The objective covers aren't used by me on any bins so this is not a factor for me. On the small details I have found the new neck strap fixture on the SV-FP a joy to use, despite my initial reservations about 'novelty' straps.

Peter

I'm also predominantly a birder but in truth just like to have my bins with me if I'm out fishing or hill walking.

My current bins are Nikon 8x32SE porros which are very nice but time has come to move onwards and upwards as they say. I wouldn't really need them for that first and last 20 mins of light that everyone goes on about. Much of my viewing is daytime.

On the subject of dim light and brightness would you say the HT's offer a brighter view on a dull day than the SVFP's or is there not much in it?

At around 600g the SV 8x32FP are similar to my Nikons so the 800g of the HT is worth consideration.

I think they both offer wow factor in many respects and are a step up from my 8x32SE's. I also kind of wonder with the visual quality and lightness of the 8x32's where this really leaves some of these top end 8x42's as I have difficulty in figuring out their benefits.

But then again I'm also thinking might be nice to have the option of 8x42's which is of course where the HT would win.

I'm also predominantly a birder but in truth just like to have my bins with me if I'm out fishing or hill walking.

My current bins are Nikon 8x32SE porros which are very nice but time has come to move onwards and upwards as they say. I wouldn't really need them for that first and last 20 mins of light that everyone goes on about. Much of my viewing is daytime.

On the subject of dim light and brightness would you say the HT's offer a brighter view on a dull day than the SVFP's or is there not much in it?

At around 600g the SV 8x32FP are similar to my Nikons so the 800g of the HT is worth consideration.

I think they both offer wow factor in many respects and are a step up from my 8x32SE's. I also kind of wonder with the visual quality and lightness of the 8x32's where this really leaves some of these top end 8x42's as I have difficulty in figuring out their benefits.

But then again I'm also thinking might be nice to have the option of 8x42's which is of course where the HT would win.

Hi Sollas,

In my opinion the Zeiss FL 10x32 will run circles around the other two. It gives a very wide (6.9*) and very bright field of view, it's very compact and has an excellent (though somewhat fast) focus action. While it's true that a 3.2mm EP will require that you set your IPD correctly and carefully align the bino's pupils with your own, it is not true that a 10x32 will seem any less bright in bright light than any other bino, say a 10x42; as long as light levels are sufficient to cause your pupils to contract to 3.2mm or less, any differences in brightness will be a function of design and construction differences between the two binos, and will have nothing to do with the relative sizes of their objective lenses.

John

Good observation, the Victory 10X32's are likely the brightest available in that configuration..
Fantastic glass that plays above it's weight. Find a demo and enjoy...

Quite honestly I'm not sure. I expect the HT to perform better in low light but I haven't actually gone out with both bins to test that one. Sorry.

Peter

Thanks Litebeam, however you'll prob see from the thread that I've moved on from that position.
Optical evolution if you like.

If i may chip in - it sounds to me from the last threads that you just 'like' the Swaro 8x32 more, and that is a major part in any decision. I'm the same with the FL 8x32. I just really like it. There are brighter bins, different transmission bins and all the other things, but the truth is, i just like the FLs more, and as a result, grab them off the peg almost every time i go out, which in the end, is the critical point.
Personally, i'd love a pair of 8x42 HTs, but would still be likely to go for the FLs if i was going to be out all day. Binoculars have to be your mate, cos you're going to spend an awful long time together.

Hello,

A former member of the Forum wrote that at the top end, Leica, Zeiss, and Nikon, choice is mostly about personal preferences. Colour rendition, ergonomics. and contrast differ among the top brands as their engineers put together a design, which always includes compromises. The important thing is to try many models and pick the one that appeals to you.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I notice the info on 10x32 models is not as extensive as on the 8x32s. And a second observation is that people think any model that has been on the market for quite some time can't be top by today's standards. Well, I'm in the market for a 32 model right now, but I have followed the evolution for over a decade. So in the end, it is still just Swarovski and Zeiss at the very top if you need sufficient eye relief (excludes Leica) and want a low weight (excludes Nikon) as well. Before having made a final decision, I need to post a stunning observation. I got a Zeiss 10x32 FL yesterday for test purposes, after having had the 8x counterpart for a few days already. And while I very much like the 8x for its extremely bright view, the 10x stunned me by its extremely fine saturated colors. I have never had a binocular to look through that gave me the impression "this one is it" before I even thoroughly compared it. I'll need to go through the routine under various light conditions, but I'd be surprised if I will not end up buying the Zeiss 10x32 FL. The problem this model has, it is not on the shelves of the dealers any more despite its superb qualities. My dealer had to order a demo model first. Swarovski is constantly coming up with new versions, so dealers keep them on the forefront. But from the persisting glare reports, one can judge that the most critical problem they have is still there.

I notice the info on 10x32 models is not as extensive as on the 8x32s...

Hello Robert,

The 10x32 format is a not very popular. Possibly because of a belief that a smaller binocular is less stable than a larger glass, which is counter to my experience. Typically, eye relief is poor in this format, as in the Leica binoculars.

I agree that Zeiss achieved quite a lot in their 32 mm FL model but they are outliers in the FL Victory line as their 32mm models avoided the Abbe-Kōnig prisms and settled for the Schmidt-Pechan prisms, probably to minimize size. Zeiss may not be able to incorporate the improvements of the SF line in either an 8x32 or a 10x32, so their sale continues for the cognoscenti. My 10x32 FL is still working with only a worn Zeiss label showing wear after fourteen years.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Arthur, this "belief" is a myth ? or is a big true ?

In the other hand, the S-P prisms ,what advantadges have in comparison to A-K prisms ?
Wachi.

Arthur, this "belief" is a myth ? or is a big true ?

In the other hand, the S-P prisms ,what advantadges have in comparison to A-K prisms ?
Wachi.

Hello Wachi,

I recall reading a study, sent to me my Elkcub, an academic study of binocular use. The authors found no verification for the idea that a larger binocular was held steadier because of the mass. My personal experience among the Zeiss ClassiC 10x40, the Leica BN 10x50 and the Zeiss 10x32 FL, was that the latter was the easiest to hold steady. I have no experience with the SF binocular which is praised for its balance. So I do not consider it a "big true," but I am not dismissing it as myth. People differ in perception and in ergonomics.

Optically, the A-K prisms have higher transmission because the prism surfaces do not require reflective coating. The S-P design may be both more compact and lighter but it is not inherently better optically. Problems of transmission inherent in the earliest versions have been mostly resolved with dielectric mirrors.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back