• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesbos 2012 (3 Viewers)

Ian Hardy

Has anyone got information on the above for next year I have just read that First Choice are doing only all inclusive holidays next year.

Any info will be appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

Hi all, on the Lesvos 2011 thread I asked for folk to hold fire for the time being. I'm in regular contact with those working on this from the Lesvos end - they have much to lose if hat we hear about FC and Thompson pulling out of Lesvos, and they are working hard on this. I'll let you all know what is going on once we know for definite, but despite what we have heard up till now, things are in a state of flux and ay yet change. I'll post more as soon s I know myself.

OK, a wee update on the charter flight situation for 2012.

The hotels have now received official confirmation that Thomson are not flying to Lesvos in 2012. Whilst various things have been flying around since March, this is the official Lesvos-end confirmation I was waiting for before casting it in stone.

Thomas Cook are currently advertising charter flights from 5 May 2012. I'm working with various folk on Lesvos in discussions with Thomas Cook to see if we can get them to commence their flights two weeks earlier. Discussions are ongoing and I will keep you updated.

Whilst getting charter flights running from mid-April will clearly benefit those birders wanting to go to Lesvos earlier, it is critical for the local Kalloni economy that we get birders to the island from mid-April. For the area to lose two weeks of birders spend is a serious impact for those hotels, tavernas, etc open this time of year to service our needs.

Good news! I met with Thomas Cook this morning and they are committing to two weeks of early spring flights flying on 21 and 28 April 2012. Further details on the Lesvos Birding website.

We just need to fill them planes to ensure that they continue these early spring flights form 2013 onwards!

Thomas Cook have just given me Gatwick flight only prices and flight times for the new 2012 early spring flights. See the Lesvos Birding website for details.

They haven't forgotten about Manchester, but simply focussing on getting everything fixed for Gatwick and will add Manchester (either direct or doubling with Gatwick) if the demand is there. See get on to your local agent if you want a Manchester flight!

Further to yesterday's flight only prices, Thomas Cook have given me package deal prices for three Skala Kallonis hotels. See Lesvos Birding website for details.

Unfortunately, Thomas Cook have also stated that Manchester will not feature for the early spring birder weeks flights on 21 and 28 April 2012, but will be considered for 2013. See Lesvos Birding website for details.

For those wishing to be on the island for these two weeks (21 April - 5 May) then Thomas Cook will be your only direct flight option from the UK. Other flight only options remain from various UK airports via Athens, which for northern-based birders used to using Manchester, might prove better then traveling via Gatwick.

Thomas Cook have confirmed luggage allowance as 20kg hold and 5kg hand - details inc. over allowance costs, etc on the Lesvos Birding website.

Does this apply with Manos (Thomas Cook), although we're flying with Monarch (5th May 2012). We've booked this week and paid extra to the travel agent as we were told our limit was 15 kg. for hold luggage & 5 kg. hand luggage. If so, I'll ask for a refund.

Sandra

Does this apply with Manos (Thomas Cook), although we're flying with Monarch (5th May 2012). We've booked this week and paid extra to the travel agent as we were told our limit was 15 kg. for hold luggage & 5 kg. hand luggage. If so, I'll ask for a refund.

Sandra

Sorry Sandra. I know nothing about Manos or the Monarch flights, although the luggage allowance will be down to the flight carrier. I'm dealing only with Thomas Cook themselves about the two specific birders flights on 21 and 28 April next year.

Sorry Sandra. I know nothing about Manos or the Monarch flights, although the luggage allowance will be down to the flight carrier. I'm dealing only with Thomas Cook themselves about the two specific birders flights on 21 and 28 April next year.

Yes, I thought maybe the final say was the airline so it will be up to Monarch, even though they're taking Manos (Thomas Cook) passengers.

Please don't forget, check the Lesvos Birding website for latest info on the 2012 early spring birder flights here. Some folk already experiencing some problems with the Thomas Cook shops as these packages aren't listed as normal for the shops since they are special charters run by TC HQ. So, check the website before you book!

Also, TC have added several more accommodation options which are now on the charter update on the website here.

I have been planning a return visit to Goa for February and have found that the Monarch flights (same carrier for Lesvos) are limiting hand luggage to only 5kg for charter flights, 10kg for schedule flights. For both Goa and Lesvos the limits are just 5kg. I have spoken directly with the airline and they are not going to budge on the limit, the response I got was 'if it's over 5kg it either goes in the hold or something has to come out' (or even 'it goes not go'), they weigh the hand luggage at the check in desk and are apparently rather strict on it.

As my camera body and 500mm lens comes to 7kg on its own, lens 6kg alone, its a non starter for anyone wanting to take high end camera kit to these destinations. Simply put it's highly unlikely I would ever return to Goa or make any visit (which I was seriously considering) to Lesvos due to the limitations of Monarch.

I have been planning a return visit to Goa for February and have found that the Monarch flights (same carrier for Lesvos) are limiting hand luggage to only 5kg for charter flights, 10kg for schedule flights. For both Goa and Lesvos the limits are just 5kg. I have spoken directly with the airline and they are not going to budge on the limit, the response I got was 'if it's over 5kg it either goes in the hold or something has to come out' (or even 'it goes not go'), they weigh the hand luggage at the check in desk and are apparently rather strict on it.

As my camera body and 500mm lens comes to 7kg on its own, lens 6kg alone, its a non starter for anyone wanting to take high end camera kit to these destinations. Simply put it's highly unlikely I would ever return to Goa or make any visit (which I was seriously considering) to Lesvos due to the limitations of Monarch.

It's many years since our hand luggage was weighed at check-in. But wouldn't like to chance it with more than 5 kg just in case.......... We've paid extra to up our hold luggage weight to 20 kgs with Monarch in May 2012

S

It's many years since our hand luggage was weighed at check-in. But wouldn't like to chance it with more than 5 kg just in case.......... We've paid extra to up our hold luggage weight to 20 kgs with Monarch in May 2012

S

The early spring bird flights on 21 and 28 April are currently scheduled with Monarch.

The hold allowance for these flights is 20kg per passenger with 5kg of hand luggage.

If you book via an agent you will be offered 15kg standard hold luggage plus 5kg add on.

if you book direct with Thomas Cook via the contact on my website then you will be offered 20kg straight off.

You end up paying the same price either way - its just two different ways to get to the same point!

There's nothing we can do about how strictly hand luggage is policed, but I will be leaning on TC to ensure check-in staff arent too strict!

All these details, and further updates on these flights, are on my website here.

I've finalised my day trips for spring 2012 - all dates (now covering 23 dates over four weeks 22 April - 18 May) and info on the Lesvos Birding website.

I spoke with Thomas Cook earlier in the week and they are very pleased so far with the response to the two early spring birder flights they are putting on. So thanks for your support - and if you've not yet booked, do so soon! The Lesvos economy needs us!

On the subject of hand luggage weight, I specifically asked about the ridiculously low 5kg hand luggage weight limit last spring. I did have a 20kg checked luggage limit which is more than adequate, but who wants to pack valuable optics and camera gear in the hold? Most replies said I most probably wouldn't have a problem.

However, I did have my luggage weighed at Manchester, and it was 7Kg!! Something had to come out I was told, so after a minute or two fumbling inside my bag, I removed two items. A camera lens and something else which I can't remember, probably my bins. Those two items were quickly stuffed in the large front pocket of my Paramo Torres smock, until I had walked around the corner, when they went straight back in!

I still can't get my head around how petty airline weight limits can be, but in future I would consider not taking my big scope, in favour of my travel scope, so no digi-scoping would be possible. Stuff any camera gear you're carrying into pockets before check-in and you should be OK. Lesson learned, but I'd need some pretty substantial pockets to fit a 500f4 inside, if I was ever lucky enough to own one.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back