• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi all - fledgling seagull troubles (1 Viewer)

spinoza

Hi all,

Had a read through of the baby/injured bird sticky but my new addition to the back garden doesn't quite fit any of the suggestions. We found him in the rear of our restaurant with his wing tips and part of his body sticky from some of the oil that comes out of the extractor system of one of our neighbours. We didn't put him back for many reasons, only partly due to the oil, mainly due to our neighbour, so he has taken up residence at home. He seems fit and healthy and the oil doesn't look bad enough to stop him flying but as yet he has not made any attempt to leave. Our home is a couple of miles so his parents are never going to find him but there are plenty of other seagulls where we live too. The garden is a typical small one with bushes/shed/trees surrounding it and we never get gulls in it - should we move him to a flat roof or will he just go when he wants? The wife, kids and even the dog are getting a bit attached to him now and I'm wondering if he feels there is no point in flying off somewhere else??! He's been here coming up to a week now - I read that if their wings are crossing over their tail then they are ready to fly, is that correct?

We have a Jack Russell that seems to get along very well with the bird but we daren't leave them alone together(!), so it would be nice for him to have his garden back |:p|

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Seagull_small.jpg

Hi spinoza and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Information Wanted forum, as I think more people may see it there who have the expertise to help/advise you.

It appears to me that he should be well enough developed to fly, but what a strange posture that is.... I wonder if something else is going on there.

Might be worth taking it to a vets for a check over. It seems to be sat strangely rather than on it's feet. I am sure there will be a wildlife hospital that might take it nearby.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back