• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Expert advice needed - Monocular/Binocular (1 Viewer)

Gray C

An Old Grumpy Bugger
United Kingdom
Hi ;)
New to this forum and to birdwatching, so any help would be appreciated. I have two pairs of old, but excellent condition binoculars, which I am giving to my wife and daughter. The first pair are Carl Zeiss Zena 8x30 and were made in DDR in 1960's. The other pair are Swift Grand Prix Mk1 8x40. Both pairs have served me well over many years and I have had no complaints as to their quality.

To save swapping around all the time I am looking to purchase a good quality monocular for my own use (binoculars no real use to me now as I am now blind in one eye). I have narrowed it down to the new Opticron DBA Oasis 8x42 (not available until May 2005) along with a 2.5x convertor (giving 20x42) as a compromise for a separate scope. A two for one option you may say.

I also require the monocular for general all round use, for holidays in Canada Spain etc, hence the reason not wanting just a spotting scope.

The Opticron model seems to be the best option available to me as the choice in monoculars is somewhat limited.

I assume that it will be like a single lens version of the new DBA Oasis binocular? please correct me if this is not so. It seems I can purchase the monocular, the 2.5x convertor and a tripod clamp for £275, which does not seem too bad to me as I understand the Opticron DBA Oasis binoculars alone, cost in the region of £599 to £650.

Can any of you experts offer me any further advice, or any alternatives which I might wish to consider, or does this seem to be my best bet.

Someone had mentioned the Zeiss 8x20 monocular, but I have heard mixed views on this being suitable for my needs

Welcome to the forum Gray!

I have a Zeiss 6x18 monocular. It allows for very close focus and is a fine magnifier as well as a telescope. You simply slide the front of the monocular in and out. I've not handled the Zeiss 8x20 but it looks interesting, it's waterproof and I'm sure rugged. The Zeiss 8x20 I think has a close focus of 10 feet.

What about the Zeiss 8x20 that might not be suitable for your needs?

I wonder if an 8x binocular might not be easier to hold steady? I think focusing a good binocular would also be faster and easier. Maybe a binocular would be worth getting one even if you are only looking through one side.

What about an 8x monocular and a modestly priced spotting scope?

Rich

Last edited:
Rich

Thanks for your welcome and your input. I had heard that the Zeiss is more of secondary instrument and is not suitable for constant usage, if you know what I am trying to say. I would also think that the 20 dia would mean that it would not be as good as a 42 dia for light gathering purposes.

However, having never used the Zeiss monocular I cannot be critical. I am only stating what others have commented upon and I would certainly consider the Zeiss monocular.

I am currently using binoculars and find them fine to use. It is just because there are now three of us fighting (not literally of course) for two pairs of binoculars, that I thought about getting a third instrument. My thoughts are, why pay a lot more money for something that I am only getting half the use from

I have read several good reports about the Opticron DBA Oasis binoculars and thought the monocular version would be a good bet.

If we really get into birding we will probably invest in a proper birding scope then

Can you buy Opticron in the USA?

Still, I am keeping all my options open and look forward to further comments.

Many thanks

Graham

Rich N said:
Welcome to the forum Gray!

I have a Zeiss 6x18 monocular. It allows for very close focus and is a fine magnifier as well as a telescope. You simply slide the front of the monocular in and out. I've not handled the Zeiss 8x20 but it looks interesting, it's waterproof and I'm sure rugged. The Zeiss 8x20 I think has a close focus of 10 feet.

What about the Zeiss 8x20 that might not be suitable for your needs?

I wonder if an 8x binocular might not be easier to hold steady? I think focusing a good binocular would also be faster and easier. Maybe a binocular would be worth getting one even if you are only looking through one side.

What about an 8x monocular and a modestly priced spotting scope?

Rich

To be honest if you want the adaptor for a pair of bins then I'd go for a scope. If you want something light then go for something like the Opticron MM2 and a hide clamp or one of those desk pods.

You can pick up an Opticron Monocular (8x42) for say £149 . Never used one though - I'm told monoculars are harder to keep steady - so a bin might be more useful.

If you go the adaptor route then if you find something then if someone wants to look you don't have your bins/monocular. FWIW I'd go for a travel scope and a pair of bins or if your prefer the monouclar.

Last edited:
I don't see the Opticron Monocular at the sites where I usually buy optical goodies.

I'm sure an 8x42 monocular would give you a nicer view than a little 8x20. The larger exit pupil is nice.

What about buying a 10x42 binocular? Then the family can fight over who gets the higher power bin. ;-) And, maybe you would get to use one of your old favorites.

Rich

Last edited:
There's a thought

Cheers

Graham

Rich N said:
I don't see the Opticron Monocular at the sites where I usually buy optical goodies.

I'm sure an 8x42 monocular would give you a nicer view than a little 8x20. The larger exit pupil is nice.

What about buying a 10x42 binocular? Then the family can fight over who gets the higher power bin. ;-) And, maybe you would get to use one of your old favorites.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back