• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth expert needed (1 Viewer)

Ashley beolens

Breeding the next generation of birders.
Can anyone out there tell me what this moth is?

I'm pretty sure its back wings (the ones covered up) where an orange colour.

Attachments

• moth3.jpg
    moth3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 305
Cheers colin, I used that site before to find a lime green hawkmoths ID, but its hard to find anything if you don't know what it might be.

This moth seems to have been around for a while and has lost all markings on its upper wings. From your description of its underwings it could be a Orange Underwing. It would help if you could give an idea of its size

It was large but not a giant, around 2 inches in length? It was in my house late last year, I only recently thought of putting it on here for an ID.

If the coloured wing had a black terminal band it could be one of the Yellow Underwings. The moth in the photo looks as if it belongs to the noctuid family.

It's definitely a Large Yellow Underwing. One of the most variable of the noctuids (in terms of upperwing pattern), and also one of the most abundant.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back