• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waders (1 Viewer)

The two central birds are calidris sandpipers, I would guess Dunlin because of the plain grey upperparts and longish and slightly downcurved bill. The one on the right looks smaller, more like a stint, but maybe just because of the different angle.

Look like Dunlin to me. Long, slightly decurved bills, squat rear ends, middle bird at least has a fair bit of streaking/spotting on the underparts. Bit less certain about the right-hand bird which appears to be facing away, but still probably a Dunlin.

The pic doesn't do them justice. their beaks appeared far longer than they do on the pic. i think their heads were turned slightly. they seemed far bigger than the little wader, maybe bigger than dunlin which i think i can recognise

I agree that the far right bird is probably a Little Stint - the bill looks short and the bird is smaller, i take it these snaps are from Blithfield Subbutgeo? Other two possibly Dunlin, i don't think Curlew Sand as i think there is some markings on the underside, although that could just be a light trick.

Dan

Two Dunlin and a Little Stint for me. Less than certain on the stint. The right hand of the two birds is a certain Dunlin when you blow it up - so I assume the other one is too!

Oh no another fuzzy one !! My impression having blown it up 800% is that they are quite possibly all dunlin as the two on the left do appear to have dark spotting on the chest and the otherone appears much the same size if slightly further away.

still think curlew sands and sumat , probably a little stint. there does appear to be some random marks on underparts but too random for dunlin as upperparts also has some pattern consistent with juv type plumage. and the left hand birds beak is long!

I too opt for a couple of Dunlin and what is probably a Little Stint on the right (don't know about the bird extreme left) ... the bills do look long and well decurved and could suggest alpina Dunlin which are longer billed than schinzii (I think) ... saying that however, I can't seem to resize much so.....

2 curlew sands

look leggy to me
and seem to have a pale hindneck as Curlew Sand
bills look long and decurved

initial observer said they were larger than Dunlin too....

jonny h said:
tim- dont blow it up its harder ! just have a look at the leggy-ness, the beak , the shape. they are 2 curlew sands!

Sorry but no way are they Curlew Sands, well no way the mid bird is.

Just for Tim

Attachments

• dunlin.JPG
    dunlin.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
does ya first impression say dunlin? i rubbish at messin wit the photos but they just look like curlew sand, i cant see wot age dunlin they wud be but juv curlew sand fits. the new photo just shows a juv curlew sand with part of long beak hidden, that wud be 2 very extreme long billed dunlin no?

Last edited:
jonny h said:
does ya first impression say dunlin? i rubbish at messin wit the photos but they just look like curlew sand, i cant see wot age dunlin they wud be but juv curlew sand fits

Yes it does I'm afraid... and my second and third. The one I am not sure about is the bird on the right which could easily be a stint.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back