• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

African expert needed (1 Viewer)

Looks like a Cisticola & I would second Alastair's suggestion of C. cantans Singing Cisticola.
Nice image by the way, cisticolas are not the easiest of birds to photograph. :t:

Last edited:
Looks like a breeding plumage Red-faced Cisticola, Cisticola erythrops. This bill is
probably too long for Singing Cisticola. The latter has a lore stripe, brown ear,
and would probably be more boldly patterned than this bird. The vegetation seen
here looks like riverside scrub, habitat of Red-faced.

Docmartin said:
Are you doing this to annoy me? Sure I already id'd this one, and your Tawny-flanked Prinia, on earlier threads.

Hi Doc

If I remember, your answer was "My best guess is Tawny-flanked Prinia (Plain Prinia) Prinia subflava, but they're so boring I can't remember what they look like" hardly conclusive was it ?

tf

tf1044x said:
Sorry guys, not very convincing with four out of five different answers, but thanks anyway.
Mos's reply is quite convincing, actually.

Another vote for Cisticola erythrops.

-Adam

cuckooroller said:
tf,
Not Heliolais, not C. cantans. It is certainly a Cisticola sp. Where exactly in Gambia, and what kind of habitat?

Hi Steve,

I was staying in a place called Brufut, I was walking around locally on the first evening I arrived, this was, with what I assumed to be its mate and was singing from one of the top branches of a bush, it was in a overgrown compound and as far as I could see there was no water near.
Hope this helps
tf

Based on tf's above reply, I have to retrace. Red-faced won't occur away from
water but Red-winged Warbler would, and there are hardly any alternatives to
consider.

After examining some photos on the web and in books I arrived at the conclusion
that breeding Red-faced retains some rufous on the ear and supercilium when
changing to the greyer breeding plumage. The bird in the photo would then be
Heliolais, and is identical to a previous photograph posted by tf.

The two species (different genusses) are nevertheless remarkably similar, even
to the colour of the bare parts: eye, bill and legs.

The following web pages have photographs of these two species. The two Red-
winged Warblers were also photographed in The Gambia.

Red-faced Cisticola
http://www.mangoverde.com/wbg/picpages/pic139-1-1.html

Red-winged Warbler
http://www.worldbirder.com/photonew/xpages/photo.asp?PhotoID=128
http://www.mangoverde.com/wbg/picpages/pic139-76-1.html

Mos said:
Based on tf's above reply, I have to retrace. Red-faced won't occur away from
water but Red-winged Warbler would, and there are hardly any alternatives to
consider.

So I could have been right after all then?

Whoo hoo!!

Seriously though, it looks very much like a bird I saw in The Gambia in December recently.

Last edited:
Brufut consists of open mature woodland with scrub & secondary growth; there is also a small permanent course of freshwater nearby as well as small (women's) gardens & the village compounds. The whole area encompasses a few differernt habitats that would reasonably be expected to hold a few species of Cisticola.
C cantans, ruficeps & lateralis have all been seen there -probably along with other species.
The habitat, hearing the bird call, & the appearance are all taken into account in reaching an accurate ID with Cisticolas so I suppose we will struggle with this single (albeit good) image.

Steve G said:
Brufut consists of open mature woodland with scrub & secondary growth; there is also a small permanent course of freshwater nearby as well as small (women's) gardens & the village compounds. The whole area encompasses a few differernt habitats that would reasonably be expected to hold a few species of Cisticola.
C cantans, ruficeps & lateralis have all been seen there -probably along with other species.
The habitat, hearing the bird call, & the appearance are all taken into account in reaching an accurate ID with Cisticolas so I suppose we will struggle with this single (albeit good) image.

Hi Steve,

I do appreciate how difficult these birds are to sort out. When I said Brufut, I meant in the village itself, near the new TAF houses if you know where they are. Close by the main road on the coast

Given the place (Brufut -The Gambia), habitat (overgrown village compound) & the fact it seems to have almost chestnut-coloured panels on the wings I think this is Whistling Cisticola (C. lateralis).
On a separate note did you stay in Brufut tf1044x? & Have they managed to get proper hides sorted, with a 'gatekeepers' hut & decent waterholes?

Steve G said:
Given the place (Brufut -The Gambia), habitat (overgrown village compound) & the fact it seems to have almost chestnut-coloured panels on the wings I think this is Whistling Cisticola (C. lateralis).
On a separate note did you stay in Brufut tf1044x? & Have they managed to get proper hides sorted, with a 'gatekeepers' hut & decent waterholes?

Steve

There is only one hide, it looks over the waterhole. I must admit, it is not very good and is very noisy when you move about at all. They have made a couple of circles of concrete which they put water in. When I was there, only one had water. There is a gatekeepers hut and a place to sit in the shade, also there are a few cold drinks on sale.
I found it very pleasant, and visited it on several occasions. I have written a trip report, if you want to have a look, it can be found on the site below.

http://www.travellingbirder.com/tripreports/view_birding_tripreport.php?id=42

Hi Trev. Thanks for the reply & link to a great report.
I was in The Gambia for 2 weeks in late Nov-early Dec. Like you we went up to Georgetown but did a fair bit of the trip by boat -the section of river between Kuntaur & Georgetown is stunningly beautiful with lots of good birds including African Finfoot, Black Coucal, African Pygmy Goose,etc. My wife isn't a birder & as the upriver trip involved a bit of rough we spent the second week at Makasutu which proved to be a real birding revelation > Green-headed Sunbird, Finfoot, White-backed Night Heron & lots of raptors (including Martial Eagles over the swimming pool!) amongst many other goodies. Some of the pictures are in my gallery & some of the details re Makasutu can be seen @ www.gambiabirding.org/sight.html#Makasutuaut05

Steve G said:
Hi Trev. Thanks for the reply & link to a great report.
I was in The Gambia for 2 weeks in late Nov-early Dec. Like you we went up to Georgetown but did a fair bit of the trip by boat -the section of river between Kuntaur & Georgetown is stunningly beautiful with lots of good birds including African Finfoot, Black Coucal, African Pygmy Goose,etc. My wife isn't a birder & as the upriver trip involved a bit of rough we spent the second week at Makasutu which proved to be a real birding revelation > Green-headed Sunbird, Finfoot, White-backed Night Heron & lots of raptors (including Martial Eagles over the swimming pool!) amongst many other goodies. Some of the pictures are in my gallery & some of the details re Makasutu can be seen @ www.gambiabirding.org/sight.html#Makasutuaut05

Hi Steve,

Read your excellant report, Makasutu sounds like a good place to visit, no doubt I will be going to Gambia again, that place is now certainly on my list for a future visit.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back