• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

couple of Aussie waders (1 Viewer)

viator

Singapore
Not good with waders...

Taken at The Entrance, NSW on 5th Feb. Apologies about the quality

1. Marsh Sandpiper?
2. ??

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• wader2.jpg
    wader2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 174
  • wader1.jpg
    wader1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 184
viator said:
Not good with waders...
Nor me ;)

Quality of the photo's shouldn't be a problem, they look ok here!

1. Marsh Sandpiper? - looks like one to me ...
2. ?? - Sanderling sprang to mind but I don't think it is, the black 'shoulder patch' seems to be missing.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi,

For number one i'd be more inclined to err towards Greenshank..... too thick set for Marsh Sand in my view, plus the head pattern looks wrong.

Last edited:
First one looks right for Greenshank. Bill shape and size, plus "back-combed" look on back of head.

1st is a greenshank. 2nd a sanderling i guess. edit: hm, yes, i was worried it might be red-necked stint and on head marks and those well marked scaps it looks prob. better for ruficollis, it's just that the bird looked too stocky or "short" for RNS to me. now what is it?

Last edited:
Could be Lou, if an adult. Normally the complete moult in adults (partial in juveniles), is in late summer-autumn, the moult of primaries moult and it´s duration may at times be prolonged to winter. Partial moult in spring. The idea is that the subject stint could be a 1st winter/summer (?), who has renewed the scapulars (many dark centered scapulars) to a non rufous 1st summer plumage. Primary wear is a good distinction from adults, since adult has fresher primaries in winter/spring. Apparently much variation, some moult inner primaries in autumn, suspend and complete in winter quarters, some moult all primaries in winter quarters.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/stints/calidris/redneck-1wC.html

http://www.birdinghawaii.co.uk/XPeepid2.htm

JanJ

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back