• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wet waders (1 Viewer)

Dave B

Along the lines of 'not all photos turned out as hoped'! Not exactly Nigel Blake standard, but perhaps a bit of fun. Should be some easy ones and others maybe not so.

Attachments

• mystery 1.JPG
    mystery 1.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 223
  • mystery 2.JPG
    mystery 2.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 206
  • mystery 3.JPG
    mystery 3.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 216
  • mystery 4.JPG
    mystery 4.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 192
  • mystery 8.JPG
    mystery 8.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 203
just for the fun of it i say terek for no 5 (and agree on the greenshank). even if they were taken in our grounds they would be hard...i think there's no calidris in there though. that narrows it a bit.

lou salomon said:
just for the fun of it i say terek for no 5 (and agree on the greenshank). even if they were taken in our grounds they would be hard...i think there's no calidris in there though. that narrows it a bit.

2 and 5 are correctly identified. Greenshank and Terek respectively. As for the others, there is one Calidris and two Tringas.

And Sean ,though they were taken in Malaysia, you could see (and probably have seen) all of them in the UK.

Dave

Andrew Whitehouse said:
1. Spotted Redshank

3. Sanderling
4. Wood Sandpiper

Sorry Andrew,

That's three more possibilities eliminated. Here's another shot of number 4. Marginally less unhelpful?!

Dave

Attachments

• mystery 5.JPG
    mystery 5.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 143
Jules Sykes said:
1. Green Sandpiper?

3. Great Knot?

Jane has correctly identified the Marsh Sand, and the new photo of the Calidrid shoudl clear that one up, so that just leaves the first one, plus two new ones to have a go at.

Incidentally, you're probably thinking that it took years to amass such a stunning collection of shots, but you'd be wrong ... they were all taken last Wednesday!

Dave

PS OK, one more a tantalizingly blurry image! Bonus point if you can id the leg in the top left corner!

Attachments

• mystery 3b.JPG
    mystery 3b.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 153
  • mystery 7.JPG
    mystery 7.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 154
  • mystery 6.JPG
    mystery 6.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 165
  • mystery 9.JPG
    mystery 9.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
4 Red-necked Stint

QUOTE=Dave B]Jane has correctly identified the Marsh Sand, and the new photo of the Calidrid shoudl clear that one up, so that just leaves the first one, plus two new ones to have a go at.

Incidentally, you're probably thinking that it took years to amass such a stunning collection of shots, but you'd be wrong ... they were all taken last Wednesday!

Dave

PS OK, one more a tantalizingly blurry image! Bonus point if you can id the leg in the top left corner![/QUOTE]

tf1044x said:
4 Red-necked Stint

Yep, one muddy-billed RNS, and Jurij got the Curlew Sand right. Still two to go.

Edit: No sorry, three. #1 from the original lot and #2 and #3 from the new batch

Jurij Hanžel said:
3 (new ones) Far-eastern Curlew
1 (old ones) Common Sandpiper

Well, I confess I never thought this would be so difficult. All three are of species commonly seen in the UK and Europe. None of them have been mentioned so far.

I had to crib alas and thought 2 Adult bar-tailed Godwit

3 Juvenile Bar tailed
my guess for the leg Pacific Golden Plover
Brian

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back