• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida, Winter 2013-14 (1 Viewer)

First stop, Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island, one of Florida's premier reserves on the Gulf coast, raved about in many trip reports, top spot for photographers. Have to say though, nice though it was, I found it perhaps the least productive of all the major localities on my itinerary.
Yes, the wife and I also found Sanibel Island to be a rather dispiriting place (like most of suburban Florida ;)), and Ding Darling NWR to be much-overrated. We eventually got good views of a singing(?!) Mangrove Cuckoo on our third frustrating lap of the one-way drive, but otherwise it was rather like visiting a safari park.

Jos, it´s your guilt that I´m undetermined now! ;)

Should I do my 5th Point Pelee (Canada) trip or my 1st Florida in May?
PP pros: familiar with the area, airport, highways
PP contras: mostly the same species after my 3rd visit

How´s the accommodation, rental car fees, safety down there?

TIA,
Roman

PS.: Would like to know which lenses you used, my longest is just a 400/5.6

Jos, it´s your guilt that I´m undetermined now! ;)

Should I do my 5th Point Pelee (Canada) trip or my 1st Florida in May?
PP pros: familiar with the area, airport, highways
PP contras: mostly the same species after my 3rd visit

How´s the accommodation, rental car fees, safety down there?

TIA,
Roman

PS.: Would like to know which lenses you used, my longest is just a 400/5.6

I'd say do California 3:)

But if a choice of 5th visit to Pelee or first to Florida, I'd personally go for the latter. In May, you can also do a day trip to Dry Tortugas (maybe bad spelling) - Brown and Black Noddy, Sooty Terns, Brown Booby, etc etc.

I'd imagine costs are pretty similar overall, but I guess car rental is cheaper in Florida than Pelee (check website 'car 3000', good rates and good company). If you don't mind camping, national parks are very good value, but decent motels are available everywhere for 70 US for a room, a bit more in some places (and much more in Sanibel/Fort Meyers area ...which I'd simply recommend skipping anyhow). Safety is not really an issue, unless you plan to do solo birding in downtown Miami, etc. (but don't park in any supermarkets to do shopping when leaving the airport in a rental car - not unknown for cars to be followed and then broken into).

I use no lens longer than a 400. You may need to back away from some birds as they are too close ...but do check for sleeping Alligators when walking backwards, especially in Shark Valley 3:)

Last edited:
29 December. Corkscrew Swamp/Tigertail Beach
And then the gentleman was back, 'Er, how big are Panthers? I think there was one on the boardwalk'. And strewth, he'd even got a blurry picture of the thing, indeed a Florida Panther! As far as I can gather it was just sitting on the boardwalk, then with the arrival of this first visitor, it had jumped over the handrail and slipped away into the forest!

Arrgh! /QUOTE]

Oh mate.... words fail me!

John

30 December - Wakodahatchee/Green Cay.

With my trip nearing its end, I had now visited most of the localities that were on my planned itinerary, but I did still have one last detour I wanted to squeeze in, a small wetland sandwiched into the urban sprawl that spreads up the Atlantic coast from Greater Miami through Fort Lauderdale to West Palm Beach. A mangle of freeways, malls and suburbia hugging the coast for endless miles south to north, but within it a couple of real little gems.

On route from the Gulf coast, I'd already stopped in at one wetland, adding a bunch of Limpkins and a Wood Stork amongst others, but my real target was the Wakodahatchee Wetlands, an enhanced water-reclamation site with a boardwalk circling around a series of pools and marshes. Small in size, the reason for my visit was simple, essentially to twitch Neotropic Cormorant. Unknown in Florida until very recently, a single pair was unexpectedly discovered on a nest a couple of years back, huddling in with a few Double-crested Cormorants and Anhingas. On arriving I had no idea where the birds would be, or if they were actually nesting at this time, but it couldn't have been easier ...a hundred metre walk, plus or minus, and the boardwalk passed a tiny tree in the marsh with ten or so nests weighing it down. Anhinga, Anhinga, Double-crested Cormorant, ...bingo, Neotropic Cormorant! Well, I didn't expect to find the bird on the very first pool! But here it was, an arm's throw from the boardwalk, panting in the heat of the day, one half of Florida's one and only pair of Neotropic Cormorants. Adjacent giant Green Iguanas slouched across the low canopy of the tree, Great Blue Herons paddled the shallows and a Belted Kingfisher sat viewing the waters below.

Wakodahatchee is not very large, so the remaining part of the reserve did not occupy too much time, but still some 'added extras' in the form of a Roseate Spoonbill, a flock of overhead Monk Parakeets and assorted other herons, ducks and ibises. Many turtles too, plus a couple of large Alligators.

Very much a sister wetland, a mere ten-minute or so drive from Wakodahtchee, lies the rather larger Green Cay Wetland. And very nice it is too, my couple of hours ambling around this locality notching up a whole range of nice birds, two Limpkins amongst them, plus one Wood Stork, no less than four Green Herons, several Mottled Ducks, a Northern Harrier and, stars of the show (but perhaps not for the local avifauna), five chunky Purple Swamphens plucking water lily buds to eat. Native to the warmer parts of Old World, this birds are currently expanding in the sunny climes of Florida, along with a motley crew of assorted parrots and other exotica. Still, I was happy to see them!

With the wetland show over, it was time to hit the highways and head down to Miami, sixteen-lane highways in places and not a single American seems to know anything about concept of slower cars using the inside lanes! Result, a steady mass of cars moving in both directions, the stately towers of downtown Miami slipping by, Turkey Vultures ever present, occasional flights of Brown Pelicans in the distance. Destination for the evening was Florida City, checking into a motel for a couple of nights.

Almost finished...

31 December - Lucky Hammock/Florida Keys

Mopping up operation, my last couple of days in Florida were to be spent in the Homestead and Keys area. Started at dawn at the so-called Lucky Hammock, a tiny patch of woodland very close to the entrance of the Everglades National Park. So insignificant does it seem that I almost drove straight past it when trying to find it, but a most impressive track record it has in luring migrants and vagrants, several major Florida rarities found here. In the area around, plenty of American Kestrels and Loggerhead Shrikes, but circling the patch of woodland, all at first seemed quiet, Blue-Grey Gnatcatchers the only birds stirring. Sticking it out however did pay reward, with the rising sun, so a select bunch of species appeared in the fringes and canopy. First a gaudy Prairie Warbler in loose association with Yellow-rumped Warblers, then a Brown-crested Flycatcher in the tree tops (a Florida rarity, but recorded at this site a couple of weeks earlier) and finally a rather nice Wilson's Warbler in low vegetation.

And that, although still only 9.00 a.m., was basically the best birding of the day. Having travelled through the Arctic to the northernmost point of the American road network four months earlier, I now thought it obligatory to cruise the 200 kilometres down Highway 1 through the Florida Keys to reach Key West, the most southerly point on the road network in the USA. Hmm, while I can honestly say the Dalton Highway in Alaska proved to be one of the best journeys I have ever done, spectacular scenery, a sense of adventure and fantastic wildlife, the road to Key West has to rank as one of the most uninspiring! Brown Pelicans and mangroves two-a-penny, but do dispel images of unspoilt tropical islands linked by a series of spectacular road bridges. Reality is a rather dull road, fairly heavy traffic and, at regular intervals, urban sprawl or developments lining the route.

Ah, delightful! Still, was tropical in weather and at least Key West itself is a fairly easy-going town. Saw a flock of about 65 Black Skimmers in the ferry terminal, had a quick walk around the historic fort, then turned tail and motored back to Florida City, one Key Deer on route. Last birds of the day, and indeed 2013, a squadron of Brown Pelicans flying into a setting sun, nice.

Last edited:
1 January - Castellow Hammock Preserve/Everglades.

In traditional style, I was up way before dawn to celebrate the New Year, 4.00 a.m. to be exact. The idea had been to find some elusive mammal or perhaps an owl to kick the year off, but as it was, a Wilson's Snipe took the honours, a singleton bobbing in the car lights as it fed aside a small roadside pool.

Before getting totally lost on random farm tracks, I then veered a little to the north, ensuring a dawn arrival at Castellow Hammock Preserve. A fairly small area of protected tropical hardwood in an otherwise residential area, this locality was simply excellent. Before it was even light enough to begin proper birding, as I strolled around the lawn in front of the visitor centre, Grey Catbirds and Northern Mockingbirds were emerging from the bushes, American Robins pouncing out onto the lawn and a Blue Jay into a tree. Up came the sun, out came even more birds. A rainbow of colours in a single low tree, a most impressive warbler flock was certainly nice for the 1st January - amongst Palm Warblers and Yellow-rumped Warblers, a positive feast for the eyes with two superb Northern Parula, two stunning Black-throated Green Warblers, one Prairie Warbler and a smart Black-and-White Warbler. Also Blue-Grey Gnatcatchers with them and, in the next tree along, two Loggerhead Shrikes.

As the warbler flock eventually began to dissipate, I relocated myself all of a hundred metres or so to the a series of large flowering shrubs. With a considerable warmth already in the rising sun, I had high hopes amongst these blooms. Zip, zip, a little fleck of a bird zooming by, a brief hover, then radical change of direction and the dot hurtled away to a perch high up. Super, this was exactly what I was looking for ...hummingbirds! Not terribly abundant in winter, this locality has a good reputation for harbouring a few most years, the blossoms a magnet. And so I settled down and waited, and soon there was another, and another. Then another. Oh ho ho, almost a dozen by the end! Four months earlier I was watching Rufous Hummingbirds in southern Alaska on their summering grounds, here I was now watching their in their winter home, neat. And just for good measure, one Ruby-throated Hummingbirds too.

Also walked the woodland trail, but saw very little, so decided to return via a residential crawl to the hotel for coffee, Monk Parakeet, Common Myna and White-winged Dove amongst birds decorating gardens. Sadly, my trip to Florida was almost over, in a few hours I would be aboard the plane and heading towards Europe. Still time however for one last outing. Chucked all the bags in the boot and, to finish where it had all started, returned to the Everglades for a few hours. Alligators sunning, Red-shouldered Hawks atop bushes, a Northern Harrier quartering, all familiar birds now, but this was a most relaxing and enjoyable way to end the trip. On the Anhinga Trail, as well as all the assorted herons and egrets, added one very nice American Purple Gallinule and gazed up at the kettles of Turkey Vultures rising on the thermals.

Ah boo hoo, it was now early afternoon and time to head for Miami. Did sneak in a last detour, incorporating the edge of Biscayne National Park onto my route, adding a few Brown Pelicans atop posts. More impressive however was the adjacent rubbish tip - this was simply mind boggling, above the immense mound of trash rising a couple of hundred metres was an even more immense cloud of birds, not just gulls, but also thousands and thousands of Turkey Vultures! Wow moment indeed.

And then it really was time up, zigzagged through south Miami, saw a couple of feral Muscovy Ducks on a pool and arrived at Miami International in good time for my flight. American Airlines to Atlanta, British Airways to London, trip over.

***** The End *****

Will perhaps add a few more pictures as I finish sorting them.

This has really whetted my appetite for the States, especially the Skimmers & Painted Buntings.

I have been to Pelee so seen a lot of stuff, but not the latter two.

Another very interesting trip !

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back