• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Devonian Goes to Cuffley for a Luffley Bird! (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
19-11-05
Location : Northaw Great Wood (nr Cuffley). Hertfordshire. TL287043.

Ridiculously early this morning, I set off to town for the bus to Tiverton Parkway to catch a train to Cuffley in Hertfordshire for a Grey-cheeked Thrush. Kingfisher joined me at Taunton and promptly grabbed some hot drinks. My coffee tasted strangely like peanuts. Not surprising at all for train fare!

Half way through the journey, Tommo sent a text message assuring us the bird was still there this morning. That was a relief as I feared the run of cold frosty nights may have taken it's toll on the bird.

Luckily, disruptions on the London tube did not affect our connection to King's Cross for the train to Cuffley. Once out of the station, a short Asian woman wanting to see the bird followed us and I got in touch with Reader who was about to leave but kindly offered to pick us up and drop us off in the woods. Good job as it was a fair hike. The track and car park was full with one car almost reversing into a parked car so obviously chaos was prevalent today!

We did not need our directions as it was easy enough to walk in the opposite direction of the departing birders until we met a large gathering staring down a track in the woods. Thinking this was the prime place to be we squeezed to the front of the pack and I crouched down out of people's view.

An age passed and I developed pains in my legs with just one moment of confusion to show for it. The bird had appeared but being deaf, I could not follow anyone's directions and missed out. Kingfisher did not see it either and said that there were at least five different set of directions to where the bird was! It was also no good trying to follow where people's scopes were pointing as a few were looking towards different parts of the track!

A good few minutes later it had been found to our right and the pack rushed over but as usual confusion reigned supreme. Eventually, Kingfisher put me onto the Grey-cheeked Thrush foraging around some mossy logs and stumps. That brought out a sigh of relief.

Having got the tick sorted we now wanted good views of the bird and followed it from the outside of the pack where we could set up the scope. The bird settled into one spot long enough to allow us to enjoy it. It was a really healthy bird bouncing about so vigorously like a Robin as opposed to the sorry looking bird I had expected to see.

During the brief scope views I was more taken by the bird's character rather than the plumage features but did note the salient points. It was rather smaller than a Song Thrush yet a bit larger than a Robin. The bird's overall colouration was a drab brown and grey one yet strikingly endearing. A distinct eye ring was discernable and the bill seemed to be all black with the views I had. The breast patterning was a series of smudgy black dots radiating outwards from the central breast area down to white under parts and greyish flanks. The legs were almost fleshy pink.

We felt so good having successfully seen the bird after a long train journey from the South West. Darrenom was on site and offered us a lift back to the station which we quickly accepted. Back at King's Cross we thought of looking for information on getting to Denham for the White-headed Duck but it was too much bother. We decided to leave that for another day.

On the ride back home from Paddington the coffee still tasted of peanuts, at least they are consistent! Back home I had little time to get changed and grab a bus to Exeter to meet Chris for a drink in the evening. Not surprisingly, I toasted the bird with a few too many drinks. The Grey-cheeked Thrush certainly has to rank as one of the birds of the year for me for it's rarity value, character and the experience of the whole day.

Last edited:
Ah Tommo, I had the impression you were on-site and telling me it was still showing. That's why I asked how you got on with the Upland as I assumed that was where you had gone off to.

One day our paths will cross. If you get out of bed! ;)

tom mckinney said:
Not my style. Nowadays I prefer lying in bed and reading the pager. It saves time, money and discomfort.

:smoke:

You can certainly get a good Year List doing that Tom. Maybe even a few Lifers as well. Roger :bounce:

Andrew said:
19-11-05
Location : Northaw Great Wood (nr Cuffley). Hertfordshire. TL287043.

The bird settled into one spot long enough to allow us to enjoy it. It was a really healthy bird bouncing about so vigorously like a Robin as opposed to the sorry looking bird I had expected to see.

During the brief scope views I was more taken by the bird's character rather than the plumage features but did note the salient points. It was rather smaller than a Song Thrush yet a bit larger than a Robin. The bird's overall colouration was a drab brown and grey one yet strikingly endearing.

I arrived late in the day on Saturday and then proceeded to take the wrong path and spend about half an hour walking in completely the wrong direction! When I did find "the throng" it was about 3.00pm. However it was well worth the effort as it did at one point bounce up the path only a few metres from the watching crowd and I (and more importantly my young son) got some reasonable/good views. That late in the day also possibly had the advantage that many people had left as being able to squat somewhere with a view did not prove too difficult compared with descriptions of others.

However the point of this reply is to say that your description above is spot on. I was surprised at the apparant small size and did find it endearing to watch. Its colouration seemed to blend with the greyish muddy path especially as light began to fade.

It has survived the cold nights earlier this week too which is good news.

Keith

Still going strong yesterday. A big round of applause to anyone that managed even a crappy record shot of it.

Both Cuffley and the birdy were luffley.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back