• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mourning Doves (1 Viewer)

Frank Brady

Greetings: First time here, and hope someone will answer my question about the mourning dove. How long do the young stay at or in the nest from the time they hatch? We had two hatch on 15 May, and were gone on 24 May... Do the adults move them or is it likely they were taken by a predator? The nest doesn't seem big enough for a blue bird, so maybe they get moved to more comfortable quarters... We miss them and hope the adults will lay eggs again in the same nest. Thanks for this opportunity to learn, and very best regards to all reading, FB

Hi, Frank! I see this is your first post, so a warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

I'm afraid I don't know for sure about Mourning Doves, but Sibley's Bird Life & Behavior book says, in part, that young leave the nest from 11-16 days after hatching but that the parents can continue to feed fledglings for 30-40 days.

The nests are pretty random-looking affairs, usually a few twigs built more like a platform, not the typical cup. I don't believe birds can "move" their young, per se, but I do wonder if your birds didn't fledge and leave the immediate area a little sooner than average? Perhaps the adults are still feeding them nearby?

Adults can have up to 5 broods a year, too, so it seems likely that "your" birds would return if they think it's a safe, comfortable place to breed. :t:

Keep us posted, will you?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back