• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heated birdbath ...anyone know to get one? (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Don't get me wrong, the birds haven't gone soft ...but they really do need a bird bath that is heated.
Living out here in Lithuania, winters are usually below minus 10, and often drop to minus 20, so not so much fun trying to drink or bathe on a block of ice!!!
Bird supplies, such as feeders etc, are next to nonexistant out here, so nearly always get when visiting UK ...but have never seen a heated bird-bath (I guess a bit too much luxury for UK winters!). But does anyone know any suppliers? Or have ideas how to make (without electricuting myself/birds and all within 50 metres!).
Ta very much

Hi Jos,
I just tried putting "birdbath heaters" into Google and it came up with quite a number of suppliers. You would just need to find somebody who will ship to Lithuania.

Des.

Thanks for that Des,
I tried through internet suppliers, but only got a list of USA suppliers, would be easier if could find a supplier in the UK. Would appreciate if anybody has any info.

Hi Jos,

Sorry to say, but heated bird baths are not a good idea. They tempt birds to bathe in cold weather, and if they then leave the bath with wet feathers when the temperature is -20°C, they can be chilled rapidly and killed.

Birds have long evolved to be able to get by in winter without liquid water; no need to try to change this!

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back