• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hong Kong query (1 Viewer)

edenwatcher

I am in Hong Kong for a conference next week. I have October 1st free, which I gather is a public holiday. I guess this means many places will be very crowded (especially Mai Po?). Can anyone recommend somewhere suitable to visit (I will be staying in east Kowloon). I have birded HK before, though a long time ago.
Thanks in advance

Rob

Yes, Oct 1st is a public holiday here. Some places may be busy, but I wouldn't expect it to be intolerable for most sites.

The main issue for Mai Po may be getting a permit. You need to arrange this in advance because the site is not open for general public access. There are not many days left to arrange the permit, especially because Monday (28th) is also a public holiday here. Check out the 'Solo Walk permit' here: http://www.wwf.org.hk/en/getinvolved/gomaipo/spetour/
There is a good predicted tide at lunchtime, so it should be good for waders.

As for other potential sites, it really depends on what you want to see. Tai Po Kau is good for forest birds, Long Valley is good for farmland. Both may be busy on the holiday though.
It's a good time of year for migrants, and weather conditions are suitable next week, so getting out almost anywhere could turn up something interesting. Po Toi (ferries from Aberdeen) is well known for turning up migrants, but many of the other islands also have potential (e.g. Lamma, Lantau).

Personally, my advice would be to contact WWF now to try to arrange a permit for Mai Po - that should give you the best combination of waterbirds and migrants.

Hello Rob

I am so happy t ready your thread about birding site in Hong Kong. Any chance to let me know how you get on with your birding day. I will be in Hong Kong in November for 2 weeks and love to do birding but I don't know any birding place, any map name of the road or area? where to go would be very welcome . i hope you have a great trip and great birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back